Cobweb Help

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
No, not related to Halloween. lol I'm talking about the real deal here.

I figure if anyone can help me, I'll find it here.

Okay. I'm living in an old victorian home with a steep stairwell leading upstairs which also happens to have a very tall ceiling. While the rest of my house may be spider web free, I can't say the same for the darn stairwell. It looks like I've decorated for Halloween.

I've tried going after them with the vaccum attachments, a broom, a yard stick tied to the broom handle..... And none of them are long enough to reach up that high. A ladder on the top landing won't work as the highest part of the ceiling is right smack in the center of the stairs.

Now I KNOW something must reach that high because there is paint on those walls. But I don't have one of those super long paint stick thingies and I'm afraid it'll mess up the paint. (cheap flat paint comes off when you wash it) And I won't be able to paint til husband finally gets a perm job.

Ok ladies. Is there some cobweb wacker or something out there that someone forgot to ever tell me about?? :sword: Cuz these things look awful. (spiders seem content though) And they're driving me nuts.

:bloodshot:

Marguerite

I just get a long stick and wrap it through the cobwebs. Anything glued to the wall - you have to leave it, if it's up that high. But it's the loose dangly stuff that you need to mostly shift, and you just have to wave a stick through the air for that.

If you can get a telescopic thingie, especially one with a static brush head, that might work and you might even be able to get some off the walls.

Try to handle it dry, and not only will you have a better chance of removing the cobwebs (water glues them to the wall) you will also keep the paint safe.

Marg

Lothlorien

Yeah, I would probably get a really long closet pole or something and wrap it with some cloth and tape it to the pole. Make sure it's wrapped good enough that the pole doesn't scratch your paint. Use light cotton cloth, nothing to heavy to weigh the pole down more.

You may even be able to find a long enough PVC pipe, which would be lighter than the closet poling.

Marguerite

I get a lot of cobwebs down by covering my feather duster with a stocking (but we have low ceilings). If you can get ANYTHING long enough to reach, try covering it with some cloth and then a stocking. Then if you find the webs too icky to handle, you can always pull off the stocking and either throw it away or throw it in the wash.

Marg

meowbunny

3-story wall, no way to reach the top. That was my plight. I finally got three old broom handles and taped them together. To that, I taped my 6-foot extending duster so I could adjust it to the appropriate length for the area I was trying to get to. I would get on my 6-foot ladder and just start waving my "stick duster." Got the cobwebs. Did no damage to the walls.

ScentofCedar

There IS a special cobweb thing. Our daughter bought it for me because the spider web situation at the lake is totally out of hand. I don't remember what it is called or where she got it (but I will ask and post again later). It has a telescoping handle so you can reach very high with it. The business part, where the head of the dust mop would be if you were using a dust mop, is bristling with these flexible, rubberized hair-like things. The things are heavy and flexible enough to remove any cobweb, no matter how far into the corner it is.

Then, you just shake it off outside.

The handle telescopes back into itself and the cobweb remover can be stored in the broom closet along with the dust mops and so on.

I will find out for you where she got it.

I love it.

Barbara

I bought a telescoping pole at Lowe's for $20. It comes with a dusting attachment, which is great for cobwebs, and also several attachments for grasping and turning light bulbs. It telescopes out to about 20 feet fully extended. I can easily reach the furthest top corner of the stairwell standing flat-footed on the ground floor.

Nancy

I bought one of the telescoping poles also, I think at Home Depot. It reaches up very high.

As a side note, We have had an unusually high number of spider webs in and outside of our home with gigantic spiders hanging from them. Last week one of those spiders found it's way inside and spun a web in the laundry room where my difficult child's band uniform was hanging on the closet door. This happened in two days since I had just hung the uniform up. The web was huge and very elaborate and encased the uniform and band raincoat hanging on the opposite doorway.

The spider had one of those big bulb bodies and of course husband was out of town. I called my bug man and when he got there he said it was the biggest spider he had ever seen and even he was spooked. He took it down with a paper towel and stepped on it and it crunched.....ewwwwwwwwwwww. He said this has been a big year for spiders. Then we walked around the outside of my house and there were parts of the house that were actually completely covered with webs. I've never seen anything like it in years past.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
yes, Home Depot or Lowes has something for this for sure. Our basement stairwell has really high corners that are difficult to reach. I swat the cobwebs with large towels - haha - which does nothing. Another thing that works if you have a pool is the telescoping vacuum pole. They are usually made of lighweight aluminum and you can easily put some static-type of cloth on the end to grab the webs.

On the exterior of my house I am constantly using a broom or the hose to get cobwebs off. They are always around my chimney and back door as those places get the least light. Drives me bonkers. It makes me think of The Munsters.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'll be making a trip to Lowe's on payday. :smile:

Yep, the spiders have been bad this year. Not in amt per se, but in SIZE! I've been killing some of the largest spiders I've seen in many years.

Hahahaha! Spiders beware! Your webs are history!! :sword:

Thanks everyone. :smile:

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The spider had one of those big bulb bodies and of course husband was out of town. I called my bug man and when he got there he said it was the biggest spider he had ever seen and even he was spooked. He took it down with a paper towel and stepped on it and it crunched.....ewwwwwwwwwwww. He said this has been a big year for spiders. Then we walked around the outside of my house and there were parts of the house that were actually completely covered with webs. I've never seen anything like it in years past.
</div></div>

Nancy ~ I really wish that I hadn't read this. I am going to have nightmares tonight!

We have a two story foyer and family room. I make husband get up on a really high ladder to get rid of cobwebs.

It's either them or me. :rofl:

I don't share my house with any spider!

by the way, did any of you see a recent SVU (Law and Order) where one of the Sex and the City actresses played a character that was an expert on spiders. She said that no matter where you are you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider at any given time.

I keep scanning around myself figuring how far 6 feet away would be. :rofl:

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Kathy, I saw that episode and now every time I go into my basement (the most popular of spider hangouts) I am looking up down, all around for that spider that is within 6 darned feet! I ran the water in the basement bathroom the other morning and a spider crawled out from the drain. Scared the Bejezuz outta me! :smile:

In the Spring, I went to move the small trampoline from the laundry room and discovered the largest in circumference spider I have ever seen in my life. It had to be about 3 inches with all it's legs extended and it was JET black. :scared:I mean, made my skin crawl. Well, easy child was up so I made her come look at it. H and difficult child were asleep. It took easy child and me about 15 minutes to finally get brave enough to kill this little s.ucker. And when I went at it with the shoe, I sounded like a samurai, screaming at the top of my lungs, then running as fast my feet would take me up the stairs. easy child screamed the entire time and it was LOUD. I couldn't believe that H and difficult child slept through it. The next morning, easy child and I crept down the stairs to see the carcus and as we were staring into the tramp coils, H came up behind us and asked..."Looking for this?" and when we turned around he was holding it up!!! :frankenstein:

yep, screaming up the stairs all over again - I nearly knocked easy child out of my way. LOL :rofl:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually get a teeter-totter, and a light weight kid, and give him a rag. </div></div>

Oh my! :rofl:

Will you have the kid watch High School Musical, the part where Troy and Gabriella sing "I'm soaring, I'm flying..." first?

BBK, if you want to try your hand at open mike night at one of the Chicago comedy clubs, I am there for sure! You are just too funny.

Lothlorien

We just took Mighty Mouse's toddler bed apart. He had a cute little fire engine bed that he is getting too big for. {sniff}

husband was going to sell it, but when he took it apart, there was this HUGE encased spider's egg nest. He burned the nest. He found some dead spider somewhere else under the bottom of the bed and so he decided to just take it to the dump. I was soooooo freaked out. Thank goodness we took the thing apart when we did. I can't imagine what would have happened if those spiders in that nest hatched. They would have been all over my baby!

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> husband was going to sell it, but when he took it apart, there was this HUGE encased spider's egg nest. He burned the nest. He found some dead spider somewhere else under the bottom of the bed and so he decided to just take it to the dump. I was soooooo freaked out. Thank goodness we took the thing apart when we did. I can't imagine what would have happened if those spiders in that nest hatched. They would have been all over my baby! </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><span style="color: #FF0000">OMG!! This thread just gets worse and worse.</span></span>

I will never sleep tonight now.

~Kathy

Nancy

I'm sorry Kathy. I was afraid to walk in the laundry room for days. I had told my bug man that he must come up with a dead body, I did not want some half injured spider crawling in some corner. I still look up at that doorway now everytime I go into the room half expecting to see another one.

Nancy