Cognitive processing therapy

klmno

I know that tdocs are not anywhere close to GP's as far as explaining what "treatment" they are giving patients, therefore, many patients have no idea what type of therapy they are recieving. But, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of cognitive processing therapy and how long it's been around.

TerryJ2

Hi Klmno,
I found some hits online. It seems to be directed toward PTSD, for military veterans and rape victims. I think it grew out of older therapies (aka cognitive therapy). It seems pretty valid. It involves talking, as well as having the patient write down specifics.
Why do your therapists not tell you what sort of therapy you or your difficult child are getting? Can't you just ask the front desk person b4 you make an appointment? Just wondering.

Here's an example:
Reviewed by
Priscilla Schulz, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

from an article of the same title by:
Patricia A. Resick and Monica K. Schnicke, University of Missouri-St. Louis

Published:
Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology,
V. 60 (5), 748-756, 1992

Why is this article important to providers serving sexual assault survivors?

Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) is a treatment specifically designed to address posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in sexual assault survivors. This article describes the theoretical basis behind a cognitive processing approach, and presents data from a preliminary outcome study. Certain aspects of PTSD are common among rape survivors. CPT is designed to treat these specific aspects of PTSD. The study presented looks at the effectiveness of CPT when used in a group format with rape survivors suffering with chronic PTSD.

What is the origin of cognitive processing therapy for sexual assault survivors?
Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) combines information processing theory and knowledge gleaned from prolonged exposure treatments that have been effective in alleviating PTSD in survivors of other traumas. In particular, CPT draws upon an information processing theory of PTSD that proposes that information about a traumatic event is stored in the brain in "fear networks." These networks consist of memories of traumatic stimuli and responses along with their meanings. The entire network is designed to stimulate avoidance behavior in the trauma survivor to prevent future threat to survival. Unfortunately, as researchers have discovered, these "fear networks" seem to be responsible for a set of beliefs or expectations (schemata) of trauma survivors that causes them to have an attentional bias toward evidence of threat, ambiguous or otherwise, and to disregard evidence to the contrary. Such attention to cues of threat serves to trigger typical fear responses of escape and avoidance, and seems to account for the re-experiencing phenomena of PTSD.

BusynMember

I had it in the 80's. It is the best therapy I ever had. Indeed, I believe it's the only therapy that really helped me. I still use it all the time. It's become sort of an automatic way of thinking. They called it Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

klmno

Thank you both! As I have researched this- or at least started to, it appears that this is what I had in the 80's, too. However, all cognitive therapy (or cognitive behavior therapy) is not this, and this might be our (mine and difficult child's) current problem. I was under the impression it was CBT, but now (albeit it is with very limited info) I', learning that this is only one specialized form of CBT and the 2 tdocs I have asked here have never heard of it. And, I agree, MWM, this was the ONLY therapy that made sense to me, helped me become who I wanted to be, and was not some patronizing BS that anybody with common sense could have provided. And, I too live by it even today.