Combination of Conduct Disorder and ADHD Predictive of Substance Abuse

R

runawaybunny

Combination of Conduct Disorder and ADHD Predictive of Substance Abuse - Medscape

In a 10-year follow-up study of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the occurrence of substance use disorder (SUD) was increased compared with controls, especially among ADHD youth with early conduct disorder, according to a study from Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston.

The study was presented here at the American Psychiatric Association (APA) 2010 Annual Meeting.

ADHD and associated comorbidity are known to be risk factors for substance abuse in adolescence and young adulthood, but few studies have examined the early childhood risk factors that may predispose patients to this behavior, said Timothy E. Wilens, MD, and colleagues from the Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.

SRL

Youngsters with ADHD plus early Conduct Disorder are at higher risk for substance abuse.
Now that's sure a big shocker.:rolleyes: Seriously, we need studies for this?

"Dr. Wilens and colleagues showed that there are children with ADHD that are at risk for substance abuse but most of them have a diagnosis of conduct disorder, which translates into juvenile delinquency later. Many ADHD children want to be good. For the child with conduct disorder, being good is not a priority. This work says that ADHD plus conduct disorder equals a very serious problem," Dr. Benson said.

"Dr. Wilens answers convincingly that the vast majority of ADHD children will not abuse drugs later, but if the child has more severe, more oppositional, behaviors we have to acknowledge that he may be heading for a life of trouble," he continued.

"This is the challenge for psychiatrists, to find ways to treat the comorbidities. This requires enormous resources and follow-through to prevent these children from being school dropouts and ending up in juvenile court."

Dr. Wilens reported receiving consulting fees, speakers' fees, or grant support from Abbott, AstraZeneca, McNeil, Eli Lilly, Novartis, Merck, and Shire. Dr. Benson has disclose no relevant financial relationships.
American Psychiatric Association (APA) 2010 Annual Meeting: Abstract NR5-22. Presented May 25, 2010.

Last edited:

Sheila

SRL: Reading you post was like dejevue. lol

My thoughts exactly.

This work says that ADHD plus conduct disorder equals a very serious problem,"

They could have saved 10 yrs of time and money by just asking us. lol

Good to have validated what we've all known for umpteen years though.

SRL

SRL: Reading you post was like dejevue. lol

My thoughts exactly.

Honestly, sometimes I think these studies are ways of academic types justifying jobs. :doctor:

A few weeks ago I saw a report of a study that said kids in high quality daycare fare better down the road than kids in low quality care. I wonder how much that brilliant conclusion cost the taxpayers.