Computer Experts...I have a question

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by bby31288, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bby31288

bby31288 Active Member

Just wondering earlier today I was on the fossil watch website looking at watches for my sister. I have noticed that every website I visit including this one now has advertisements for Fossil Watches. Why is this? What causes this to show up on every web page I visit that has advertisments? Just wondering. Its kinda creepy....

2. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Sounds like you picked up a trojan. Try doing a virus scan.

3. DaisyFace

DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

Tracking Cookies!!!!

Your computer keeps track of every website you visit. "Cookies" are little bits of code that your computer records at every website. Web sites plant a "cookie" on your computer when you visit and it allows them to advertise you later.

If it bothers you....you can visit your computer's "Control Panel" or "Security Center" and choose "Clear Cookies". Your virus protection should do this for you, too.

And yes, there ARE programs that block the cookies completely. "Ad-Aware" is one...

Hope this helps!

4. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Guest

It's probably google adsense serving personalized ads. Here's some info copied from their blog and a way to opt out of personalized ads if they bother you.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-ads-more-interesting.html

5. bby31288

bby31288 Active Member

Wow, what great information! Makes sense now. I am a google queen....Now that I understand it, its not so creepy!! LOL. Thanks everyone!