Concerned about relapse

dbwh

My 30 year old step son has had substance abouse issues since 14. He says he's been clean for long time, but last night he came over and seemed to be acting irrational. He's been eating a lot of candy, he's very thin - but eats non stop. Last night he was folding laundry and took every piece of clothing to the light and inspected it thoroughly for spots. Then at the dinner table was obsessed with trying to rub off spots on his shoes. He also couldn't sit still. Are these signs of using?

Kathy813

Staff member
Hello and welcome. I am not an expert but it sure does sound like he is using to me. I take it that he doesn't live with you so I would just watch carefully and not leave him alone in the house if he is using. My experience is that they start stealing when they are using.

Other than that, there is not much you can do but suggest that he go to rehab. I know how much it hurts to see a loved one relapse . . . especially if he has been clean and sober for a long period of time.

~Kathy

dbwh

I think so too. Was just hoping it was different this time. His father and I want to believe he's better and love it when he's happy and fun - but the extremes are too much and last night just was extra odd. My 17 year old wispered to me "what the heck is he doing"? I still need to protect him and our 14 year old. Thank you for your reply.

Nancy

We were told when my difficult child was in rehab that those detoxing from cocaine, heroin, or opiates crave and consume large amounts of sugar bc it hits kind of the same receptors as their drug of choice did. It was amazing how much candy they all ate while in there.

dbwh

Opiates are his drug of choice. So the sugar thing might be when it's leaving his system and before his next fix? Thank you for your answers.

Kathy813

Staff member
Keep posting dbwh. You will find the CD community a great place for support and advice.

~Kathy

rita

sugar fix is often the craving by people on methadone or in withdraw. Other symptoms of withdraw can be aching, headaches, vomiting, nausea, stretchy sketchy feelings, chills, hot flashes, sweating. As for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) symptoms there is some studies showing similarities in brain after long term opiod abuse but cannot locate at the moment