Concerned that difficult child 1 seems to need more stimulant these days...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
and am wondering if the nasty BiPolar (BP) monster is ramping up for an appearance in this kid. The past week or two he definitely is over the top in his behavior late afternoons, depsite having his patch on and it not being anywhere near time for it to wear off. He takes a 20mg booster of Focalin and a half hour later he's much more pleasant to be around.

Now in our past experience with difficult child 2, he started out needing more and more stimulant to achieve the same effect. Granted, difficult child 1 is nowhere near the level difficult child 2 got to... but it wouldn't take long.

He's only getting about 25mg of the Daytrana patch now (we trim a 30mg), so I'm going to go up to the full patch starting tomorrow. I sure hope this is all he needs. But part of me is kinda holding my breath and thinking that with all his other issues and his genetic potential (aka difficult child 2 and husband) he may just be on the verge...

smallworld

But a kid with BiPolar (BP) would be revved up instead of calmed down by a stimulant. So clearly this kid has ADHD because he responds positively to stimulants.

I hope things improve soon.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW, it started out that way for difficult child 2... he needed more and more to acheive the same effect, until finally it did nothing at all. That's what I'm worried might happen here. Time will tell.