VagabondDreamer

My 6yo son just started on Concerta for ADHD a few days ago. He's been very aggressive the last couple days he has taken it. Has anyone ever experienced this?

buddy

yes, I believe relatively speaking that my son who can't function off stimulants (we have tried and even done in patient neuropsychologist evaluations to try to quantify it and no way he can be off) on Concerta he is more aggressive than on Ritalin (which should not matter since they are both Ritalin, but for some reason it does matter and both his neuro and psychiatrist agree that happens with some kids.

If this medication is not right, there are others... in fact these days concerta (which psychiatric says is a 30/60/30 delivery system thru the day... is not always the best choice because there are formulations that even it out better now.

I have my son use short acting ritalin to start.... to find out the baseline amount he needs (the smallest working dose) and then convert that to a longer acting form of it... Does that make sense?

If Ritalin is not a good choice in the end... (that is, it is not hte concerta but ritalin in any form) then you may have better luck with adderal or even non stims....

IF no drugs work, you might question the adhd diagnosis...not that medications working is criteria for saying they do or dont have it but it is something to wonder about.

VagabondDreamer

I believe he is on the lowest dose. He is on 18mg? The last two days he has taken it he has been more defiant, angry, and aggressive. I think I'm going to talk with his ED interventionist tomorrow and see if they've noticed any changes in his mood and behavior at school. Haven't heard anything from them about how he has been doing since he started it. Then definitely call the psychiatrist. He was extremely physical with me tonight and hasn't been in a couple of years.

BusynMember

My son could not take any stimulant at any dose without getting mean and aggressive (and he is not like that). Perhaps it is the wrong classification of medications for him or perhaps the diagnosis is wrong.

You may want to ask for a second opinion. These medications ARE speed and can act like it. They do not calm all kids down.

InsaneCdn

Work with the school on this... get them onside before you do it. But, "accidentally" skip a day - a school day - and see how things go.
The "ritalin" family of drugs is fast-acting, and is out of your system within HOURS - not days. So, by tomorrow, he's back at zero. This approach does not work with - and would not be safe with - medications that build up in your system.

Sometimes, its the medications. Sometimes, its that in solving one problem, another problem down the list starts to show up.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Jett started on 18mg of Concerta and went from quiet, sweet boy to BRAT (MEAN, AGGRESSIVE, etc) in no time flat.

The answer was to increase it. UHHHHH.

You may want to look at a different medication... Not all kids can handle all medications!

T

TeDo

My difficult child 1 gets that way on ANY stimulants (as well as some other medications). He is on a non-stimulant medication for his ADHD and it works wonders for him. It might be the wrong medication for your son too.

LittleDudesMom

My son definitely experienced the aggression with concerta - but not at 18 mg, only after a year when the medication was upped. My son has taken concerta, adderall, and vyvance over the years. With the exception of the vyvance, he always needed 4 or 5 days to "get used" to the medication. Vyvance has actually been the smoothest acting stimulant for my son.

Remember, kids handle all medications differently - Step just said Jett needed an increase to reverse the aggression while my son got more aggressive on a higher dose.....it's very often trial by error - not all stims are the same and not all kids can take stims.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Remember, kids handle all medications differently - Step just said Jett needed an increase to reverse the aggression while my son got more aggressive on a higher dose.....it's very often trial by error - not all stims are the same and not all kids can take stims.

Actually, the increase did not reverse the aggression. Made it MUCH worse. I really think ADHD medications can help some kids, but sometimes stims just aren't the way to go.

DDD

We also had to try a number of medications before we got the right one. It was stressful but well worth it. DDD

VagabondDreamer

Left a msg for his psychiatrist yesterday. Hoping to he calls back this morning. I think I'm going to skip the Concerta for now until I talk with him. Yesterday he got physical with one of the interventionists at school :(

Also, I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me how you would tell the difference b/w bipolar and ADHD/ODD in young children? I never considered BiPolar (BP) because there wasn't really any family history if it, but I've since been diagnosed with it within the last two weeks.