Confession Time and Inspiration and Support Needed...

LittleDudesMom

Hey ladies!

Long time no talk to.....

I've not been posting on the board for several months, though I've been reading, due to a severe pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder. The position I have to put my hand and arm in causes pain. Having said that, I hope you will draw a connection between the nerve issue and my exercise routine!

I had to stop all weight machines and even the weight of my arm hanging down while on the treadmill was painful - not to mention trying to hold on (pain in arm and shoulder and tingling fingers). I also could not use any weights in the water.

So, from January until now I've actually gained almost 20 pounds of the 60-some I lost!!!!! At first it was ok, I was eating healthy and doing water fitness, just being careful with the arm and shoulder.

As time went by, I got discouraged that I couldn't fully do my classes so I started skipping some and eating a little more. It just happened. It happened slowly.

So now, even though the arm and should are not 100%, I am determined to "grab the bull by the horns" and get back into my resolve.

But I've been saying that for a month. I'm certainly a little stressed right now, but I don't think I can blame it on that. I'm a little down, although I attribute that to the lack of exercise 'cause man it could get me pumped.

I'm debating on whether I should pay and go back to WW.

Send me some words of wisdom and support ladies.

I've got to get back to my healthy eating and exercise.

I know you all will understand.

Thanks,
Sharon

trinityroyal

Dang! I had just written a long long post and my computer ate it. I will try to remember what I said...

Sharon, I'm so sorry that you've been having such a rough go of things over the last several months. Pain is so discouraging, especially when it affects every little thing you do and gets in the way of the healthy habits you're trying to maintain.

So...you're ready to start focusing on your health again. I think your timing couldn't be better. Nice summer weather is just around the corner, lots of outdoor activities to do, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to make healthy eating easier.

Frankly, with your inability to exercise over the last several months, I'm impressed that you've kept off more than 1/2 of the weight that you lost. That is a feat in itself and you should be proud of yourself.

Now...a few practical thoughts about exercising. Is there anything you can do to support your neck, arm and shoulder while you exercise (such as a sling, like you wear for a separated shoulder or something like that?). Can you work with a physio to identify exercise you can do that don't affect your neck and arm? I'm sure there are options out there, I'm just not really sure where to begin.

Sending many hugs as you continue on this journey, and hope that your pinched nerve gets better.

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon,
I'm sorry that you have been in so much pain. I also know how frustrating it is not to be able to work out when you are use to it. I went through that this winter because of schedules not pain and it drove me crazy.

I know the weight gain is frustrating for you. The good news is you have kept more than 40 off!!:)

Have you spoken with a physical therapist about what types of exercise you could do or if they have something that you can do to help cut down on the pain?

As for the healthy eating I've found it is easy to fall off the wagon. I start letting my portion sizes get larger, etc...

husband and I just recently started tracking and it has helped both of us. You could go back to ww for the support which I think is great or maybe just start tracking if you still have the materials to do that.

Be gentle with yourself, you will be able to take off what you have put on. I am sending well wishes your way-I hope that pain is gone soon! Hugs.

Sharon,

I think Trinity and Sharon (WO) have given you some excellent advice. PLEASE don't be too hard on yourself. It is so easy to fall back into old patterns of eating, especially when stressed. I also think it is great that you have managed to keep off over forty pounds!

I've been under lots of stress lately and have found tracking what I eat to be helpful. When it's in front of me in black and white, I pay attention to what I put into my mouth. Also, it has helped me learn about how many calories I can safely take in without packing on pounds. I'm getting pretty good at knowing when I've reached my calorie limit for the day even before I check it using my tracking system.

I understand how frustrating it is to have an injury that keeps you from exercising! I love Trinity and Sharon's idea of speaking to a PT to find out what things you can do to modify your exercise program so you don't have to totally stop working out.

I think joining Weight Watcher's again is a good idea too. The support of others in similar situations will make it a bit easier for you. As you know, you're definitely not alone in your struggle to lose weight and keep it off!

I'm running behind today and have to go, but want you to know I'm thinking positive thoughts that today will be a healthy one for you...

I'll check back here again soon. Hugs... WFEN

Sharon (LDM),

How are you doing? I've been checking here daily looking for an update. I want you to know I'm thinking about you and sending lots of positive thoughts your way... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! WFEN

M

ML

Welcome back! I'm sorry that you've been in pain. I agree with the others that it's amazing you've kept off 40 pounds! That is awesome.

You can do this. I think you can start tracking everything with your materials and if you find you need the extra support you can always go back to paying for the meetings.

For now, it's just great to have you back. Hopefully you will get some support from knowing your friends are here to cheer you along.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I agree with everyone else. You are 40 lbs lighter.

I read somewhere that substance abusers fall off the wagon about 7 times before things stick. I, personally, feel I'm on that sort of roller coaster.

The crime isn't in falling off the wagon but never getting up to get back on.
Don't beat yourself up. Just take the first step.
I hope the pain is gone so you can feel better and then go back to your routine.

It is truly 2 steps forward and 1 step back. For everyone. now you are feeling better and can re-focus. Be good to yourself, seriously. You have lost an amazing amount of weight, keep the focus on that. Getting back in the saddle will make you feel better. We're right there with you!

N

Nomad

Heard something similar about substance abusers...I suppose I do something like this with- food.

Very recently our son got married. Even though I lost weight years ago and have done fairly well keeping it off, I gained pounds this last month and had to get a dress one size bigger right before the wedding. I was sooo embarassed. I'm a stress eater. Ironically, I was still exerercising...although missing a few days. I suppose it could have been worse.

That stress stuff...it's harder to cope with it. We have these long entrenched bad habits. We use food for comfort. However, bad habits can be squelched. New habits introduced.

I'm taking up yoga/meditation.

The important thing, I think, is to get right back on the horse again. I think WW is very good...accountability...hard to beat.

I also like to get magazines, good books, etc. You might try those for a few weeks...if it doesn't work...go to WW...do both...just do it!! Hang in there! Get back on the horse...

giddy up! LOLOLOL! :D:redface:;):D

busywend

Sharon, half the battle is recognizing when we fall off the wagon. The other half is getting back on.

You are half way there. Find the motivation. I have no idea how - because I still have not found mine - LOL!!!