Confidentiality of emails in schools...

buddy

I think I saw a thread that talked about whether school emails were confidential or not....
Just got the meeting agenda for my son's next 3 week behavior plan review and this is what it says at the bottom of the message:

Confidentiality Statement: The information contained in this electronic message, including attachments, is privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom this electronic message is addressed. This message may also contain data protected by the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this electronic communication or any attachment thereto is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic communication in error, you should immediately notify the sender and delete the message.

Just sharing in case it benefits anyone.

keista

Yeah, I was in on that. Our school emails say this:

Due to Florida's broad public records law, most written communications
to or from government employees regarding public education are public
records. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.

I spoke to a parent liason last week, and she told me that all I have to do is put my child's full name in the subject line. This should be a sufficient flag to whomever would be responsible for giving out the public records if requested.

by the way Minnesota seems to be on the ball. I've seen such disclaimers where in the last line they say if you are not the intended recipient, DO NOT READ THIS EMAIL. :groan:

L

Liahona

Thanks for looking that up guys. It sounds like it varies state by state. I checked and our e-mails don't have anything at the end. Though I don't think the court will make me disclose the e-mails from the school on the grounds that he is demanding my e-mails to and from the school but didn't feel that he should have to disclose anything.

You guys are great.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Any PII - Personally Identifiable Information - is covered under the Privacy Act of 1974. Period. Names, addresses, Social Security numbers, telephone numbers, anything like that. That's a federal law.

Now - some of this stuff can be found under FOIA, Freedom of Information Act. However, PII can only be disseminated with the express permission of the owner of said information; IOW, the person themselves. Which is why, online, you can ask to have your phone number removed from the White Pages, etc. For that stuff, though, not opting out is construed as permission. It's in all that fine print, too.

We have to go through confidential/classified information training every year... Plus I used to work in an office where 99.5% of all paperwork was shredded due to the Privacy Act. Before it was shredded? It was literally locked up.

PS: Our schools have NOTHING at the end.

Last edited:
L

Liahona

Thanks Step, if this becomes part of the court issues I'll bring it up with my lawyer.