Confused about easy child's actions!

AmyH

My easy child (or maybe difficult child) is 7. Background= He was removed from BM home at 10 months. She was arrested for manufacturing and did so in the home. Two older sisters were severly mentally, physically and sexually abused. Now both have been adopted by theraputic foster families. He came to live with us at 26 months.

Was tested this year and found to have only 9% working auditory memory and 13% of working memory. He is a darling child. But sometimes does the most off the wall things.
Ex. Poked a hole in our new leather kitchen chair with a juice straw, Cut holes in some of his clothes, tells stories(like telling neice that strangers are going to come get her). Last week he flushed the toilet at school while another kid was still using it, today he attempted to cut a childs hair (school was only in session 30 min. at that time).

Mainstream teacher wants him tested for ADHD, Learning Disability (LD) teacher says his inattentivness and talking alot goes with the memory problem. We know mom did drugs before and after preg. We know sisters have ptds, Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), fetal alchol, adhd. Besides the disruptive/distructive things he does sometimes, he just talks constantly what to you guys think. Do we need to have him evaluated by a psychiatrist? Is this just a kid being a kid? I don't want to read to much into it!

smallworld

Before you take him to a psychiatrist, I'd recommend an evaluation with a neuropsychologist, who can look over and interpet the school psychologist's testing, test further for other disorders (including ADHD and LDs) and put all the results together with a diagnosis and recommendations for appropriate interventions. It's really the only way you're going to know exactly what's going on with easy child.

busywend

How does he compare to peers? I think you know in your heart that what you are seeing is a bit over the top.

I agree with SW - I would get him evaluated by a neuropsychologist.

BusynMember

Was he heavily exposed to alcohol, as well as drugs? Sounds like he could be experiencing the brain damage of fetal alcohol effects (not Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS), but Fetal Alcohol Effects.) I'd go to a neuropsychologist, but make sure he is familiar with kids who have been exposed to substances prenatally. My autistic son had that sort of background and a laundry list of diagnosis. because nobody knew how much the alcohol and crack had affected him. To be honest, due to his background, it is likely more complex than ADHD and LDs. At this point I'd skip a psychiatrist. They don't know as much about drug effects as NeuroPsychs (we had LOTS of experience with that, unfortunately). Unless the professional has seen and understands drug and alcohol affects on a developing fetus, he will probably give him a label that won't help him--been there/done that too many times to count.