CONGRATS THREAD -Moms with College Bound Children -

Star*

call 911........call 911
For those of you Moms with Teens Bound for College this Fall I just wanted to dedicate this thread to you and let you stand and shine!

What an accomplishment!

So if you have a child headed for college - HERE is your chance to CROW, or CRY or both!!!!!!

OUR HATS OFF TO YOU MOM!!!!! FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!!!!
YOU DESERVE A HAND!!!!!!

LittleDudesMom

Well, I'll bite.....

My easy child moved out officially yesterday! I was extremely weepy last night!

Her apartment is great - we spent the day together yesterday getting her bedroom and closet all done. The bath, kitchen, and living room we did over the last two weeks.

Her first day of college is next Thursday.

But I must report, she was over here twice today - and not to get anything - just to visit on her way to and fro work!!!!

I can't believe my sweet little girl is a young woman already - the years went by way too fast.....

Thanks ladies.

Sharon

KTMom91

Thank you, ladies, it's been a long hard battle. The fall semester starts on Tuesday for Miss KT...she has no Monday classes, but DOES have the possibility of a child care job on Monday mornings. Please rattle, dance, cross, whatever you have that it goes through.

DammitJanet

Sharon I simply cannot believe easy child is old enough to head off to college! Where has the time gone? Good lord, I remember her starting HS like it was yesterday...lol. Wasnt it just yesterday? Then it was her getting her license...omg. I thought that was just a few months ago, heavens. She cant be going to college!

If she is heading back and forth...is she right there at home in the city? Big one downtown or the private one with the big pond over in Henrico? My parents had some friends who worked at the private one and used to take me ice skating there.

Thanks Star!

I'm too nervous to crow, and hope that I won't be crying...

difficult child has his first class on Monday. He'll be a commuter at a large urban university. Right now the jury is out, but the entire family is committed to giving him the support he needs. easy child has moved back home and is finishing up his Master's thesis (it's taken longer than anticipated - not a big surprise). He's helping out with transportation and whatever else is needed. Fortunately I was able to talk difficult child into taking a reduced course load. I think that he needs to ease into college life.

I'm still in a state of shock that difficult child actually graduated from high school - which required him to finish a substantial Senior Project. Yes!!!

Wish us luck....

Valerie

svengandhi

My son will be starting at community college for the second time - he tried a bigger one last year and it didn't work out.

My only daughter is going 7+ hours away on Saturday. She will be studying elementary Special Education with a music concentration. She wants to work with autistic kids and possibly do vision therapy.

Fran

Former desparate mom
My difficult child isn't going to college but I am thrilled that easy child is returning after a year of independent living and working.

He is happy and nervous because his first year was full of anxiety and unexpected tension. We are keeping our fingers crossed.
We wished he hadn't taken a year off but you can't raise a child to think independently then be annoyed when they don't folllow your advice. He is a good kid and he needs to find his own way.

Thanks for the congrats. I did learn that going to school doesn't make parenting a done deal. They need parented differently.

LittleDudesMom

Janet,

you are right - seems like just yesterday she was starting high school! She's going to the big one downtown! Their art school is the number one rated art school in a public university in the country - it was her first choice and she got into the school of the arts for photography. Best part was that is was her first choice college and it's right here! Think I was weepy in Monday night - I think I would have been a basket case if she was half way across the country!!!!!!

Congrats to the rest of you moms as well!

Sharon

N

Nomad

Congrats to all the kids going to college!

Fran...our son went to college part time for a long time. I didn't like it one bit. Ya know what? It was THE BEST THING in the world for him. He saved money, learned about life, developed a wonderful work ethic, matured significantly and got work references. When he was more ready, he went to college full time and worked only a few hours a week instead. He sort of reversed the situation. It as a WONDERFUL experience for easy child...I can't stress it enough! The year your son took off and worked and lived independently probably taught him a TON of things that he would not have learned in college, that perhaps he needed to learn at that very time. Wishing him and your family the very best.