Connection between acetaminophen and asthma?

ScentofCedar

I don't know what kind of research there is to back this up, but one of those health newspapers came the other day claiming that there IS a connection between the rising rates of asthma in our country and the abundant use of acetaminophen.

I have been struggling with allergic asthma myself lately. I don't know what caused it. I did have Lyme's last summer, and that could be it.

But I have taken an amazing amount of Pamprin (which contains acetaminophen) during the past five years or so, when I was going through menopause. The thing is, it wasn't the acetaminophen I needed, but the diuretic and the mood stabilizer in the Pamprin. I believed the acetaminophen to be relatively harmless, but now I am wondering about this asthma-acetaminophen connection.

I thought it was worth mentioning.

Barbara

klmno

I don't know either, Barbara, but I am becoming increasingly convinced that all the medications that are given since childbirth is having more effect than we think it is. I don't think they are the sole cause of everything- but I think they can bring out or worsen predispositions to various disorders and conditions. I have been doing a little amatuer researching about this sort of thing and am starting to come across a few articles where it is questioned. I don't know how reputable the reports are though.

DammitJanet

I know I am going to sound like a fruit loop but I hate tylenol and think it should be one of the drugs that are behind the counter because it is so dangerous. The true narcotics like hydrocodone or codeine or even morphine itself is far less dangerous to the body than tylenol is. Stick the codeine on the shelf and put the tylenol back where we have to sign for it!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am an asthmatic and I KNOW there is a connection between ibuprofen and asthma for sure. I don't take Tylenol at all - hate the stuff - but I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is a connection at all. I used aspirin, in very small doses, when I have a headache. If it's super bad, I will take an advil, but I don't like taking that either. My gyno once put me on prescription strength ibuprofen and within a couple of days I was using my rescue inhaler all day and night. Once I stopped taking the ibuprofen, my asthma improved. Tylenol must be dangerous stuff if they don't have an antidote for overdoses, eh?

Perhaps you should look into homeopathy for the PMS stuff?

fuddleduddledee

Interesting I was aware of a connection between asthma and aspirin but, never thought about the other pain killers. I have been taking tylenol and advil for years to help with migraines and general aches and pains as I get older. I was diagnosed with asthma at 40 and live daily with multiple inhalers. When I read this I did a google search for asthma acetominiphin and there are many sites showing this connection including tylenol.com. Maybe it's time to rethink my use of pain killers and learn to tough it out more.

On an interesting side note, I work with the elderly and one gentleman I see, he's 95, was taking nothing for his arthritis until he got so stiff he could hardly carry on his daily life earlier this Spring. This gentleman was told take tylenol by his doctor and he now thinks tylenol is a true miracle drug. Another, elderly woman, I also see, she is 96, takes nothing and I mean nothing except uses Absorbine Jr for her pain. Maybe there is something to be learned from these old people who don't just reach for a bottle of medicine at the first sign of pain.