Consequences for D's and F's????

susiestar

Roll With It
I am worried about a couple of things. First of all, if she doesn't get some consequence for the bad grades she may get the message that the bad grades are OK. I would probably take something away. If she usually rushes through homework to watch a show or play a videogame or whatever, I would remove that whatever until her WEEKLY update from her teacher is a grade I find acceptable. That is just what we would do .

I would probably explain that the item being removed is something that is encouraging her not to learn and doschoolwork, so it will have to be put away until her schoolwork and learning are up to reasonable (to you) expectations.

You say the school is good because they give her tutoring and extra reading time and read her tests to her. These are all good, but they may not address all of her issues.

What we learned was that if your child in within the "normal" category, private schools are a good option. If your child is not "normal" then unless the private school is VERY specialized, it simply cannot provide the additional things like aides, paras, speech, Occupational Therapist (OT), etc... that public schools are required to provide.

I am worried that there is an unidentified learning disability that is partially behind this. What accomodations does her IEP from Colorado have, and what testing has your daughter had?

I think that testing for many kinds of Learning Disability (LD)'s is needed, it could be Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), a reading disability, all sorts of things. You may have to pay to have these done privately. Many of us have had to do this even with kids in public school. Personally, I never trusted the schools to get it right - and when we compared school testing to private testing, there was a big difference.

I am sorry this is so tough an issue. I hope you can figure out how to motivate her and help her.

Susie

dreamer

wondering if you considered posting this on the Special Education forum and see what sheila and martie might have to offer as ideas?