Continuing debate on transracial adoption

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www3.law.harvard.edu/journals/hjrej-articles/archive/vol20/morrison.pdf

After reading this - I don't feel so badly as apparently if you read this article the powers that be are TELLING this group -
1.) you aren't doing your job to promote same - race adoptions and increase awareness
2.) you can't/should not tell people they must take classes to adopt black children. Undertones of they feel it's not constitutional. (not said, but feel implied)

I think this group is being seen for what they are tring to do. :surprise:

Lothlorien

This article seems a bit all over the place. I'm not exactly sure if it's pro or con toward transracial adoption.

If they are going to hinder families from adopting transracially, than they will have many, many more minority children living in foster homes or orphanages, rather than going to a home that just wants to give a child love and a home. That would be a sad, sad state of affairs, if that were to happen.

Giving the option of taking classes and giving the option to help in whatever way possible in regards to educating potential adoptive parents is always a good thing, but I don't think any of this should be forced on them.

TerryJ2

The article is supposed to be showing both sides.
It was the same one that ran on AOL, same photo, too.
The numbers tell it all. There is no way the process can be slowed down. There are just too many kids in the system, and too many black kids. These people are totally nuts.

N

Nomad

I adopted privately and am out of the loop when it comes to monies that might be available to adopt from the state. I do know that this is available and would be of help, especially in an uncertain economy and even more so if the child has special needs.

Why do black families seem to hesitate adopting children and if this seems to be an issue, why don't social workers or social agencies who have an interest in this area incorporate a campaign to encourage black families to adopt? (I hope this question is not offensive...it just seems like the logical thing to do if it is a concern to people).

TerryJ2

That's the whole point, Nomad. There is no logic behind it. Social svcs groups ARE supposed to encourage more blacks to adopt. But there really isn't much of a campaign out there that I can see. Still, it's basic math, and the numbers will never be even in our lifetime.