Contraceptives in middle school

susiestar

Roll With It
Kathy, That is what it says. I sure know my child would NOT have permission to go there. I don't mind her having the ability to see her gynecologist with-o my knowledge of what goes on. BUT we BOTH went to the first appointment and I am fully comfortable that this doctor knows ALL of Jessie's health issues. In my daughter's case, bc pills could be very dangerous as she has other health issues.

I can only imagine how many parents are working to revoke their child's permission to use the clinic. This whole thing seems very unsafe.

Who will be responsible for the babies that are inevitable? Children are not really capable of taking bc as it needs to be taken, in my humble opinion, so the likelihood of pregancy is probably greater.

Poor kids, they will have one avenue of health care taken away because there is an ignorant decision on the school board's part, or they will face a much greater chance of pregnancy and STD because they got "birth control" they are not ready to use.

Susie

donna723

Something else that would bother me, besides all the other issues ...

This doctor in the school clinic would have no access to the child's medical records from their family physician, if they had one. What if they had some pre-existing condition or were on some other type of medication that would make it inadvisable for them to be on the pill. How would they know? Sounds kind of dangerous to me. And if it were "confidential", then the family physician would also be unaware that the child was taking birth control pills?!?!?

And when the child was in for their "confidential" appointment - what kind of a medical history would they be able to get before they prescribed these medications? Would they be relying on an eleven year old to give a reliable version of their own medical history?? How scary is that!

And if the girls were on the pill, would the boys still be using the condoms? Yeah, right!

susiestar

Roll With It
Donna, doesn't it make you wonder who will be responsible for the babies, and disease treatment, that will befallthis group of students?

donna723

Yeah, it does!

They need to remember that most kids this age can't remember to close the refrigerator door or even to flush the toilet every time, much less remember to take a pill every day, without the parents involvement!

Sara PA

Keep in mind that any child who goes to the clinic and receives any medication is free to discuss it with his or her parents or give permission for the doctor to do so. The law doesn't require that the medical information be kept secret, only that the doctor cannot discuss it with the parent without the child's permission. There may be families who have discussed this and they decided that the child would go to the clinic to get birth control.

K

Kjs

Back in the day...a group of us then freshmans, went to Planned Parenthood. They gave us a presentation and offered us contraception. I think it was just "being cool" having it, but never had the need to use it. Atleast in my case.

I did become a single mother at age 21, but that was due to my own stupidity. Not that I regret it, just wishing the circumstances were different.

Talking with difficult child on this subject, (sex ed started way back in grade 2 with minor issues) He knows of many kids who have sex (6 - 8 grades)I tend not to believe it. Think it is more talk than actual activity. But I truly do not know. For that reason, if I had a daughter, I would welcome the opportunity for her to get the professional instruction and advise vs. teen talk and experimenting. I would welcome the opportunity for her to be able to get protection without being afraid to face a parent for consent.
Way to many situations in this world where the child fears the parent. Tragically resulting in some teens disposing of the baby after birth. I definatley feared my parents. Even at age 21.
in my opinion, dealing with protection is much easier than dealing with termination of pregnancy for all involved. Education from professionals is the best advise.

K

Kjs

Just to clarify...I DO believe boys, my son included needs this education and opportunity to obtain protection. He is still so young, but am open to that opportunity. I do not TRUST my son, and feel the girls need to compensate for the trust issue. Would really hate to see my son promise he would do this or did that and have an outcome not suitable for any. I do instruct both boys, when that time comes (has come for easy child) that you do not trust the girls either. Only trust yourself and be prepared.
If they both have the opportunity for instruction, education and obtaining birth control, they should both use it.

No way would would wife and I opt in to a program like this. As our gr.daughter's guardians we are legally and morally responsible to supervise and approve of all medical treatment and decisions. The fact that some children that age are having sex and are afraid to talk to their parents in no way relieves us of this responsibility nor give us the right, or duty, to delegate that responsibility to anyone else; if anything, it increases our responsibility.

This kind of program betrays a mindset that parents can not be trusted to properly raise their children and that the gov't. must therefore step in with a program to do it for them. in my humble opinion.

Lothlorien

Ya know what bothers me about this?

Yes, parents can opt out. However, most parents whose children are going to this clinic don't otherwise have the ins. or money to take them to their own physician. So, parents who don't want their children to get birth control opt out of this, but then can't afford to take the kid to an outside physician to get treatment.

If the clinic is available, parents should have the right to say...okay, treat my child for xyz, but anything else needs to come through me. These kids are too young to make important medical decisions. If it's okay to give them BC, then it's okay to dispense ritalin? or anti-depressants? Where do THEY draw the line? If they can draw a line, then why can't the parents?

Now, I hear that some schools in our own state want to follow suit.

susiestar

Roll With It
Part of what bothers me with this is that it really only impacts the girls. It is saying that it is OK to give powerful hormones to girls with-o parents advice at a very young age.

Boys can become fathers, but there are no hormone treatments at this time to prevent it. I think that if there were male hormone pills being dispensed, with the same risks girls face, the situation would be different.

If my daughter was given bc pills it would be extremely dangerous for her. Her neuro problems are such that hormone therapy is just not an option. I do not think she is capable, at this age, of giving a complete medical history to the docs, not without me there.

If boys ran the risk of stroke or other neuro catastrophes, then the dispensing would be different.

But it is just girls.

Unfortunately, this is the attitude I picked up from several articles.

Seems like it would be a bad idea to start on the pill so early in puberty in any case, wouldn't it? Have studies been done on the long-term risks of the pill when started before sexual maturity?

sameold sameold

Parent still have control here. This is mainly for the 13 and 14 yr old who are already sexually active. We do not want to be supporting them and their kids. Parents need to sign the consents for them to even go to the health center

tinamarie1

i agree with herewegoagain. my daughter has really irregular and painful periods. i took her to our family clinic here and thought they would put her on the pill. they were really against it, because of her age. its hormones, from my understanding and it can mess things up. they did ask if she was sexually active, which i know she is not, i guess that would have made a difference. but they explained to us that it is very normal for young girls periods to be off wack for the first few years...and giving her the pill may make other things worse.

susiestar

Roll With It
tm, I am very surprised. Our city only has 1 "women's clinic" though 2 of the docs are actually not part of the main business, just in the same bldg, doing ob/gyn also. We saw a wonderful woman doctor who gave me some info on the pill, choices of pills, recommendations and outcomes for young women who start the pill so early.

I wish I had the info, but I left it there. My daughter is not a candidate, and the doctor says that even as an adult she would be at real risk given neuro issues.

But the pill is usually given for a few months to see the effect and then rechecked, at least by this doctor. She treats a lot of young women, from very early like my Jess to much older. Her data seemed sound. I do know she said that the real risk is when the young girls start with the regimen that gives them fewer periods each year. That is the dosing level that they find causes real problems. Often they use a very low dose pill that does not increase the hormone levels as much when the girls are young.

Susie

Marguerite

Because this issue also connects with medical care, the situation in Australia is very different. Here, we don't have school clinics. I do remember a medical centre at my university, but there is no need at schools. A school nurse - some schools have them, ALL schools have a staff member designated to dispense medication according to strict guidelines which include parental permission and details about who prescribed the medication and in what dosage. A waiver has to be signed and medication taken to the school personally by parent/caregiver and handed in at the office. No medication to be taken to school by the child.

In the community - a child over a certain age (I think it's 13, I'm not sure) can take him/herself to the doctor and request confidentiality. The child would need to provide their Medicare number (and preferably their Medicare card, which is generally in parental custody). A child could ask for confidentiality. In practice, I don't think it happens much and a child that young asking for confidentiality would be needing to give really good reasons and would be counselled by the doctor.

There was a move by the government a few years ago, still possibly to be resurrected, to bring in a Medicare card for each person which was also an ID card and also had a microchip to be updated at each doctor visit (no matter who treated you) with updates of your medical history. This would mean that if a child went to a different doctor to get contraception, the new doctor would still have access to details about the medical history which might perhaps indicate if there were any medical conditions or concerns which would make hormonal contraception inadvisable.

In Australia, a girl wanting to go on the Pill has to have a Pap smear and breast check. Some doctors aren't as scrupulous about it, they may prescribe first, but she would only get about three months' supply before the doctor would INSIST on a Pap smear, even if the girl says she's not having sex (I'm speaking from experience here!)
This would put off really young girls only wanting to go on the Pill because it's 'cool' or some other stupid reason.

A girl going on the Pill before, say, 15 - the biggest risk is that she will stop growing sooner. The hormones of puberty are what triggers girls to stop growing, over the next few years. The later puberty in boys is why boys are taller in adulthood, on the whole. Hormonal treatment too early isn't good for a girl. But neither is pregnancy. The hormones of pregnancy will do far more to change her body long-term. Given a choice, the Pill is far safer.

But if a girl under 15 is wanting contraception, I would be worried for her in many other ways. She really isn't mature enough to make such a decision for herself and the whole situation really needs to be examined, for her physical and emotional health. But in the meantime, if she needs it to stop getting pregnant, I would give her the Pill. It's all very well to preach celibacy - it IS an ideal - but if the kid is not celibate, slam some precautions into place pronto and ask questions later. Preferably not too much later; say, 5 minutes at the most.

Education is important. Commonsense is important. Careful medical supervision is important. Ideally, parental involvement is important, but we can't judge all parents by our standards. Kids need to be safe. How do you protect the girl who is being molested by the father figure in her life? If the girl has independent access to this sort of health care, she has access to someone who is in a position to find out what is going on. In such a case, she would need to have the parental permission to see the school clinic. Hopefully, the school clinic would be staffed with someone who can ferret out the problem and deal with it at the base level, rather than a band-aid contraception.

Kids this age with access to contraception - it's a worry. But the big worry is that unfortunately, some kids will benefit if this is in place and will suffer more if it is not.

How do you fix the underlying problem that makes setting up a clinic like this a viable option?

I do wonder if this media story isn't a bit of a beat-up. In setting up a school health clinic, it's easier to say, "Here is a health clinic, we will treat whatever comes through the door," than to say, "But of course, since these are children of Middle School age we won't even consider discussing contraception, post-natal care, geriatric medicine and hip replacements." Because once you start putting restrictions in place for obvious stuff, people start thinking, "What about this? What about that?"
I don't know many medical centres which have restrictions on what they treat, other than ones which are in common with the country's acceptable standards of good practice.

I do think in this case, a school chose to set up a health centre. Along with that, came this whole package they'd never considered since, for Middle School, it's beyond what most people find acceptable.

I don't read this as a general invitation for kids to cram in, clamouring for condoms and contraceptive pills to be handed over, thanks to the marketing campaign - rather, I see this as an attempt by a school to do something good for the students, to give them access to good health services, and it's blown up in their faces.

There will HAVE to be a doctor overseeing any prescribing. ANY doctor who prescribes a contraceptive Pill for a 12 year old girl would have a great deal of explaining to do. Who will fill the prescription? At some level, SOMEONE would talk and the doctor would be in deep doo-doo if he can't justify it legally.

Of course we want our children to abstain from sex until they are married. But unfortunately, in this day and age they would increasingly be in the minority. We taught our kids as best we could and had to accept that we had done our best but our girls made up their own minds when they were 18. Chastity belts are illegal. Locking up your daughter is illegal. And if, at 18, they choose to have sex, it's THEIR legal decision. All we can do is hope they have enough sense to take precautions - and if we have taught them to be responsible and honest, they (hopefully) will do so.

If we are so determined that our daughters will not have sex before marriage, that we fail to educate them about the ethics, the health issues and the social aspects of sexual matters, we are doing it wrong. Again, speaking from experience - that's what MY parents did. All it did was make me more vulnerable to exploitation.

Education about sex and availability of contraception will not in itself cause promiscuity. All it will do is provide resources to try to help the kids who will be doing it anyway.

The issue of parental permission/involvement in medical issues at this age - I think that is another matter. There are many areas in the health systems of your country and mine, where we meet these sort of paradox problems. Maybe a "Big Brother" type of health care card/records is the way of the future, where a patient's records are always available to the consulting doctor. It is scary, it would need a lot of safeguards to avoid abuse of such a system by unscrupulous administrators, but it WOULD avoid some tragedies too.

Marg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marguerite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chastity belts are illegal. Locking up your daughter is illegal.</div></div>

&lt;&lt;&lt; SIGH &gt;&gt;&gt;