Convoluted IEP's - Communication with- the teacher(s)

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
IEP's can -and often do become so long and convoluted that it can be a lot to go thru and/or remember for the teachers. Is there something that you have found that works as a reminder or as a communication to a new teacher at the start of a new year that highlights what your child needs in order to be successful at school?

At our school, it seems like the IEP is a useless document. It feels like it is written from the perspective of what the school needs to do to cover their butts but not really as a guide for how to help your child succeed. We just completed an annual IEP, but I am taking my son out of his current school and transferring him to another one in the same district next year. Just wondering how I should communicate what it is that really works for him (and doesn't work for him), other than just providing them with a copy of a badly written IEP.

And for any teachers reading, what do you use to go by in dealing with your IEP students day-to-day - or what would you leave a substitute teacher so they knew how to work with your student in your absence?

Thanks!

InsaneCdn

In our school, every student with an IEP - and a few without - has a "profile". It's a 1-2 page doctor, basically a working summary of the IEP. Every teacher gets it at the start of the year, it gets shared with subs etc. Includes the dxes that are useful to know about directly (e.g. ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), any LDs), all direct in-class accommodations (from EA to listening systems to adjustments to type of work etc.), and, for behavior-issue kids, who to contact if there is a problem during school (school staff and/or home). The SCHOOL does this, here.

buddy

When I case managed kids on IEP's I made a folder for their gen. ed. teachers. I did put the IEP in it but also had a one page document that described the nature of the disability, how it affected the child in real life (class, playground, lunchroom, etc.), what to do to help them understand or how to communicate with them, and then I listed the accommodations that they were required to use... (often the most important parts for them, the goals are usually run and charted by the sp. ed. people).

I made sure they knew how to reach me if I was only there part time and gave them my direct line/email so they didn't have to look it up.

Does that help??

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Yes, both of your replies are helpful! Thank you. So, do you think this is something I can request from the school (this profile or overview)?

buddy

I don't because it was in my work computer but if you write up something then you can post it and would certainly be willing to review it ....no identifying info of course.

keista

I always have a chat with the teachers and let them know to contact me or the in school point person if they have any problems. If son starts complaining about stuff or his grades start falling (pretty much my only indicator that IEP is not being followed) I contact teachers and discuss the issues and what is usually done to help. If it's a new issue or solution that doesn't follow the current IEP, I call a meeting and get it 'fixed'.

Yes, it's seriously a PITA. I pretty much gave up on the teachers in 5th and 6th grade for son. In middle school it was a matter of life and death for him that I keep up, and now in HS, I'm trying to strike the balance of me advocating and teaching him to advocate for himself.

Remember, that paper alone will not make the teachers do what they are supposed to. If they are being difficult, you need to constantly remind them of that paper.

when one of mine was younger, we always did kind of a short, one page "about me" page that we handed out to everyone. we purposely not only summarized the IEP in plain english but also included a few short blurbs about him---what he likes, what is cool about him, etc--all positive stuff--IEPS themselves do enough to illustrate the negatives. (we only really stopped because he's had the same staff for years now, and they all pretty much just know at this point)

every single teacher always appreciated it. while they are required to follow the IEP of course, a quick snapshot is sometimes more helpful.

but do keep it short. it has much better impact that way.

yours is still young enough that its not a "weird" thing to do.

Wiped Out

Staff member
As a general ed teacher in an inclusive room, the Special Education teacher will give the ieps along with a summary of bullet points of things to do. Plus, if she isn't in my room she is right next door for the most part.

When my difficult child was your difficult child's age we used to meet with the teacher before each school year started.

JJJ

Every year I make a 1 page, full color handout about "The Amazing Tigger". It has a photo of him and highlights his strengths, his weakness, and our goals for the year (these aren't the IEP goals but more general). I make enough copies that every person who works with him gets one -- teachers, aides, administration -- heck, this year I gave one to the janitor!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Thanks everyone! I am going yo ask the school about this and if they don't already have something, I will put something of my own together.