Cooking...Custard pie

DammitJanet

I made the best - and easiest - egg custard pie today!

I am not a person who enjoys baking much at all but we decided that we were going to make today be our Thanksgiving Pie baking day. We made 3 pecan pies, 2 chocolate chess pies, 2 pumpkin pies and 2 egg custard pies. Yes, we are going to have plenty of pies for thanksgiving...lol.

Of course, one pecan pie and one custard pie got ate today to make sure they tasted good enough for the big day...lol.

I have never made a custard pie before. I have made custard pudding for things like banana pudding or the infamous tapioca pudding but never baked custard in the oven. OMG...how much easier it is to do it in the oven. Stovetop be darned from now on! You just take your eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg and beat it all up then pour it into a pie crust and bake it. I dont even like pie crusts so you can bake it in an oven safe dish and make baked custard. It is to die for. No more standing over a hot stove stirring pudding.

klmno

That sounds really good! Will you post the whole recipe sometime when you have a chance?

And you made that many pies but you don't like to bake??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds yummy Janet. I don't have to do Tday this year...........and it sounds like easy child has desserts covered. LOL

I don't think I've tried a custard pie before...........hmmmm

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
When it comes out, you could put sugar on the top, melt it with a flame to make a crust, and put fresh berries and kiwi on the top and you could have a version of Creme Brule (my absolute favorite desert) Pie

:)

Marcie

DammitJanet

Here is the recipe and it is so easy any idiot, including me can do it!

6 whole eggs
2 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a deep mixing bowl and beat until sugar is dissolved. (Or put in blender and blend on slow speed until sugar is dissolved.) Pour into unbaked deep dish pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until custard is set. Let cool before serving.

klmno

Thanks!! I'm going to write it down and keep it- it sounds like something difficult child would love.

PS- I'm glad to hear that you have faith in my ability to do this. LOL!!

DammitJanet

It is fabulous. I even made one without the crust in a baking dish because I dont like crust! I think you would call that flan...lmao. Or just baked custard...who knows. All I know is delicious.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
In the summer, you can put your custard in little glass bowls and set them in a skillet of water with a lid, and simmer the water and cook it that way, too. So you don't heat up the whole house with the oven.

We love custard at our house. We eat LOTS of it.