Cooking dinner for 16!

M

ML

I bet you pull it off! I just hope you don't have to work so hard you don't enjoy it. Love, ML

meowbunny

Are they bringing anything or are you doing it all? If you don't have to go fancy, I vote for something like chili, salad, cornbread. Otherwsie, guess you can go the whole nine yards and do turkey, ham with all the trimmings. If you could stand the cold, do as much as possible on the bbq and leave the stove for the side stuff.

I've found it as easy to cook for 20 as it is for 6. Same amount of work except figuring how to seat people.

Good luck!

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, just your classic turkey dinner. Twenty pounder turkey, dressing, mashed taters, green bead cassarole, homemade rolls, very nice fruit salad, a few pies...that sort of stuff. Daughter made homemade noodles for some dish she is making. No box stuff here! Now, if I can get my 4 loads of laundry done, and figure out where I'm going to put all these people, I'll be good.

Abbey

meowbunny

Have no fear. They'll find where to put themselves. If necessary, plastic table cloths on the floor for a picnic type meal for the younger set helps a lot. Remember, you're in the Midwest. Speak out and they'll bring chairs, tables, dishes, anything you want or need.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well...I survived. My daughter and I worked in tandem on this thing. I have literally about 2 feet of counter space. Then I started to realize all the kitchen things that DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK FROM VEGAS!:mad: We had to be very creative.

We had people on the floor, living room, kitchen...but they didn't seem to mind. Sent them home with all the leftovers which was nice. I hate that stuff hanging around for days. Most of them were elderly so they loved not having to make a meal today.

After a few Tom and Jerrys we commensed cleaning (while husband sat on the couch watching TV). All in all, my kitchen is back to normal and it was a good day. I might think twice about doing it again, though.:anxious:

Abbey

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
The last time I did this I made everything except the turkey ahead of time. The yam casserole, green bean casserole, extra stuffing, mashed potatoes were all done the night before. When I took the turkey out of the oven I popped those things in. They all warmed up while the turkey rested and was carved and the gravy was being prepared. Easy, easy, easy and I was so much less stressed!

Congratulations for surviving, Abbey! It sounds like you did great!

Suz

Jena

Sorry i missed this one. Very cool you pulled it off. Sometimes those types of holidays where everyone is just everywhere, great food, etc. can be the best as opposed to the organized let's all sit at our assigned seating spots which is what i went thru this year.

glad your day was good :)