COPAA Action Alert for 1/21/10 Call-In Day in support of H.R. 4247/S. 2860

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
COPAA-News is a service of The Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc. and may be shared with others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ACTION ALERT: Call your Senator and Representative and ask them to support H.R. 4247 and S. 2680, bills to prevent the use of harmful restraint and seclusion in schools

· On December 9, 2009, Representatives George Miller (D-CA) and Cathy McMorris Rogers (R-WA) and Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT) introduced H.R. 4247, the "Preventing Harmful Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act" and S. 2860, the "Prevention of Abusive Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act," respectively, to address the use of restraints, seclusion and aversive interventions in schools.

· COPAA SUPPORTS THE BILLS.

· Working with other stakeholders, COPAA was a major force in the drafting of these bills and a driving force behind many of the positive provisions it includes. While the bills constitute a significant foundation from which to protect children and prevent future abuse, COPAA will continue to work to strengthen the bill to ensure that it fully protects the rights of children and their parents.

· As Congress returns to work this week, we are asking our members to join together with members of other organizations in a National Call-In Day on Thursday, January 21st to ask your members of Congress to support the Preventing Harmful Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act (H.R. 4247/S.2860) introduced last month by Representatives George Miller (D-CA) and Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (R-WA) and Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT).

· See govtrack.us for full text of the bills, to track bill progress or to see if your Senator or Congressman has already cosponsored.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

· On Thursday, January 21, 2010, please call 202-224-3121/TTY 202-225-1904 and ask for your Congressional representative and/or U.S. Senator's office (to find out their names, go to congress.org). Encourage your friends and family members and coworkers to call as well.
· Ask to speak to the person working on education issues.
Identify yourself as a constituent and, if applicable, a member of COPAA.
Convey the following message:

Message for Senators: "I am calling to urge my Senator to cosponsor S. 2860, legislation preventing harmful use of restraint and seclusion in schools."

Message for Representatives: "I am calling to urge my Representative to cosponsor H.R. 4247, legislation preventing harmful use of restraint and seclusion in schools."

Debbie Lehrich
Director of Public Policy
Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates

Status
Not open for further replies.