Cost of neuropsychologist appointment

humbleyourheart

I called the U of C and was able to get an appointment for a neuropsychologist evaluation in March. My portion after insurance is going to be roughly $1500 (our insurance isn't that great.) My husband says we can't afford this kind of money right now, but I am thinking that this is really important.and would like to have it done. Does this seem high or is this what others have experienced in getting one of these evaluations? Would you go ahead with it even with the cost being that high?

Donna

DazedandConfused

When I had one done with Daughter (when she was 3 1/2), luckily I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket. However, it wasn't nearly as comprehensive as the evaluation that Son went through.

With Son, I private paid a neuropsychologist with her own practice. She was recommended by the neurologist. She used to work at "World Famous University Hospital" (WFUH) for years, but went into private practice. Anyway, I opted for the fee of $3,000 (it's more now) because if I chose WFUH I would have had to been placed on a year waiting list. So, husband and I coughed up the dough.

1,500 for a full evaluation (make sure that is what it is)? I'd take it.

I take it that husband doesn't have to deal with the behavior issues like you hence balking at the money.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We didn't have to pay anything out of pocket because our insurance covered the testing 100%. But I recall the total amount billed was in the neighborhood of $2500 to $3000.

humbleyourheart

How do I know it's a "full" evaluation? I'm not sure what to ask to make sure it is. I'm assuming because it's a teaching hospital that it would be, but I could be wrong.

BusynMember

We have Medicaid and it covered everything. It's not fair, I know. But there ARE some perks to being low income. I digress: Will they take payments? in my opinion, yes, this is VERY important. It's the same as putting off treatment for a lump in your breast--the earlier you catch a childhood disorder, the better the adult outcome. I have dealt with the U. of C. for myself (although it was years ago). They were great even then and were very compassionate. They may help you out if you tell them about the money problem. I don't think it's high for a neuropsychologist evaluation, unfortunately. A full evaluation will run at least six hours. Ours was ten. If they tell you it will be 2-4 hours, be wary.

smallworld

If you ask for a list of the tests to be administered and post them here, we can tell you how thorough the evaluation is.

Last summer we paid $3000 for a private neuropsychologist evaluation for daughter M. Our insurance didn't cover very much of it.

Josie

I paid a few hundred dollars 4 years ago for a neuropsychologist exam for my daughter. Insurance covered most of it. I've recently found out that they probably only paid about $250 for it. They said it would be 6 hours but it turned out to be less. I did not find it as helpful as many here have found theirs.

I am about to have another one done for her. This time, I am going out of network and the cost will be $4,200. Insurance says they will pay me $350. It is supposed to be 8 hours. I think it is important enough that we are going to do it. husband is not so sure it is a good use of money.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I just got the info for ours which I have to pay out of pocket and then send in the claim for my insurance. 200$ and hour. I am looking at about 16 hours total with parent meeting at the end. It may go longer it may go shorter.
I have no idea how much insurance will cover at this point..
2 years ago they covered most of it, I think we paid about 250$.
So I am hoping they cover most this time or else we are looking at most on our credit card. :(
Our Tester is not charging us for any of her time on paper work or any extra time though. Which is nice!

This is so important though, in my opinion. So it is worth it to us. Our last one was used by almost every Doctor and expert we have seen, even the Schools.
Especially if you have one done by a *good* Neuro-psychiatric.

humbleyourheart

I checked with UofC regarding which tests they would be doing. She couldn't tell me which test or names because there are so many that could be done and they will choose the ones geared toward his symptoms. She assured me that that it is a full comprehensive evaluation to test all of the cognitive functions. There is no poking or prodding just questions and written tests. Does that sound like what I am wanting? She also said he doesn't need to stop any medications that he is currently taking.

The actual testing will be from 8:00 to 4:30. It's $250/hour for approximately 12-13 hours which includes the time for the dr. to make the reports. She said the reports are then just mailed to me to take to my psychiatrist, but if I had any questions on them I could schedule another appointment to go over the findings.

husband still isn't sure about spending this kind of money (which we really don't have), but I have the appointment made since March was the earliest and hopefully he'll come around by then.

Donna

klmno

That sounds like what my son got- both in price and amount of time for testing. I was told that once she started testing, she might add or remove and expected test based on any areas of concern she detected early on. It sounds like that is what they are telling you- given the money involved, I took that as a good sign. Yes- it is worth the cost.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
two words...............

TAX REFUND

that's how we paid for the non-medicinal brain stimulatio program for difficult child a few years ago.

If this doctor bills you for services rendered (after the fact) then you can make payments on your account. Make sure you pay every month and they can't legally send you to collections. However, they CAN add interest to your account.

You can always ask if they have some sort of payment program too. I'm sure most of the professionals would be willing to do something otherwise they'd have no business with the ecomony so rough lately.......just a thought.

jal

My insurance covered one for difficult child back in 07. No real testing was done and I was told by the new psychiatrist last week that no neuropsychologist worth their degree would have signed the thing. Then he asked if we paid, and we told him ins did. He said that was why. No real testing was done. I'd love to know why no other "professional" called this out.

Ropefree

Banned
MidwestMom: I would be interested to know if the "everything" that medicaid paid for was the same tests and time frames that are discussed here. My experiences with medicaid is the physician is pre-authorizing orders for tests under the protocols that medicaid has in place, or doing a 'carve out' for a specialty test not included.

When folks are going to a private practise business and offered a boutique menu of fees for services that a medicaid quaificant will never see I feel that implying that medicaid "pays for everything" fuels a mythe that poverty is a cadallac ride.

Also the limits paid by medicaid also mean that when a practioner accepting assignment is a dud the fact is there maybe not second try.

I just want to point that out as medicaid is not "getting everything' type of insurance coverage by a long shot and it is wrong to imply it is.