Cost of putting down a pet?

SRL

Yesterday morning I went out to the garage with a piece of fruit for our bunny and unexpectedly found her barely able to move and in very serious condition. There's not much to be done for a rabbit in that stage but in weighing the options I did call the animal clinic to find out what the charge would be for putting her down. I was shocked at the price they quoted me--$171. This bunny was not going to make it so I was just looking for a way to make it easier so it wasn't as if we needed consultation or anything. I definitely didn't want her suffering but that's a steep enough fee to make me not rush in, especially since we've been socked with some seriously big expenses in recent weeks. Thankfully she passed on around noon.

I haven't had any experience with this but wondered if this fee is typical? I know vet costs vary widely and costs are high in our area. Plus being the weekend it was the emergency clinic, and not having regular patients I'm sure they have to sock everyone who walks through the door hard.

She was a sweet little bunny and we're sure going to miss her.

skeeter

We received the "good friend discount" with out last dog (NL had worked at the vet for a time) and all we had to pay was the cost of the injection and the fee for the body removal. I think that came to $40. The vet didn't charge us his time or office fee - in fact, even though NL no longer worked there, he did most of the prep work anyway.

Marguerite

Weekend clinic fees would have been a lot higher because their costs would be higher. They would have to pay penalty rates to staff.

Sometimes all you can do is keep the pet comfortable. It sounds like you wouldn't have had time to get her to the vet anyway.

I used to have to euthanase bunnies (among other animals) in my job. Bunnies are actually a lot easier than dogs, especially easier than cats. It shouldn't be that expensive, but as I said - weekend rates.

Marg

SRL

This clinic is a weekend and after hours only operation. The only hours they are open is when the others typically are shut down--evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. But because they're in business, most regular vets in town don't do after hours so we're stuck. I took a sick kitten there once and it cost about twice what it would have at a regular vet.

donna723

That's why it was so expensive. The "emergency" after hours vet clinics charge extremely high fees, way higher than a regular vet would charge for the same thing during office hours. Still, in a real emergency at night or on a weekend, they can be a Godsend.

Andy

A vet ER visit for our clinic is $70 just to walk in the door after hours for customers on record.

M

Mamaof5

As I work for a no kill shelter I can tell you weekend and holidays are a lot higher in fees. Usually fees are based on size and weight but it's overtime they pay to the clinicians for weekends and holidays as well as the fact that emerg clinics are much more costly than regular vets. Animal hospitals are also more costly. I'm sorry for your loss.

witzend

We had to do this last month. It was about $180, and then an additional $100 to keep his cremains... I know... I just couldn't leave him to be thrown out like trash.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is $40-$70 here. We never pay a fee for the body - our loved furbabies are buried out beneath one tree in my parent's back lot. Not sure how much that fee is here.

I am sorry about the loss of your furbaby.

K

Kjs

It was about $200, a little more I believe to put Chloe to rest. I was shocked too, but at the time you are really not thinking.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Kathy

Marguerite

When we've lost bunnies, or hens, we bury them deep in the garden. If we see an animal deteriorating we watch to make sure they are not in pain and do what we can to make them comfortable. A hen who is too crippled to walk to the water bowl or the food, we will put in a small cage with her own water bowl next to her, and a dish of food nearby within pecking range. We check on her to keep her clean, and generally give her a bit of extra TLC. As long as she doesn't have to struggle to walk, the hen has generally been comfortable and happy. But often they get physically weaker and we've found they don't seem to linger long. We haven't had them put down, we haven't needed to. But other animals - yes, sadly. Native animals that need to be put down here, are done at no charge. The most recent one was the bat that bit husband. She had been electrocuted on the power lines, only a glancing blow but the shock burnt her thumb and the tissue died. You would think a bat could survive without a thumb, but they can't. The vet found after he put her down, that she had other internal organ damage that would have led to a slow painful death anyway.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Any chance you can find a large animal vet that generally serves farmers?

That's what we've done...they generally do small animals as a service to their large animal customers, and don't generally mind taking on an extra here and there...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Witz, I have the cremains also. The oncology nurses even sent me a clay imprint of her paw after she was put down. It makes me feel better that she is here with me and she will go wherever I move.
SRL, I think the cost of putting a pet down is over the top too. Honeysue was about 120lbs but I'm pretty sure it was over 300.00 (with the cremation) Maybe because the oncologist did it but I thought it was high. What could a pet owner do? She was obviously uncomfortable. I hope someone does that for me when I am suffering with the pain at the end of my life.

TerryJ2

I'm late to this, but I agree, it's the weekend fees that get you. Our fee is around $100.
I'm so sorry about your bunny.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SRL,

I am so sorry about the loss of your little bunny. Family is family. You do the best you can to make them as comfortable as you can. We see very little difference between furkids and others. I'm sure this was hard for you. Hugs.

tiredmommy

We went through our local SPCA, there was no charge as Pookie was obviously beyond reasonable vet care. We opted to make a donation.