Could use some board juju

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This morning my boss had a meeting with a woman who it turns out is a Human Resource company that small companies use to outsource their HR work.

I am the Human Resource Manager, along with being the Office Manager, etc. I mean, HR is my primary job duties.

I am kind of freaking out as this is similar to what he did before he gave my bookkeeping duties to an outsource through our accountant's office.

If my HR work is taken from me, and I know it's because he feels he can save money by outsourcing it (but only if he axes me), I will have little to do, really. And even though he outsourced the bookkeeping for the primary checking account (I still do the BK for the escrow accounts), I still handle the day to day bookkeeping - I do everything except write the checks. And it's not a trust issue as I still have access to all the payables that come in, processing checking deposits, on line banking, etc...I just want to ask WTH????

So, I'm trying not to freak out. Should I ask him point blank about it? Should I wait and see? Please advise and send along some positive juju that this doesn't mean my job is being downsized or eliminated. There is no way I can lose my income. Thanks.

ctmom05

It's hard not to freak out when you feel your job is on the line. Take some time to be an observer and fact gatherer, especially if rumors are swirling. If your boss doesn't approach you, ask to have a private conversation with boss person at the beginning of next week. Boss may need some time to gather their thoughts.

I'll be thinking of you, Jo.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I don't have any advice, but I'm rattling & pretzeling for you. I know too well how it feels.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Instead of freaking, I'd just ask him outright in a nice way. Because while he may *believe* outsourcing may be cheaper (I dunno if it would be or not), you with your experience, might be able to think of a better plan. Know what I mean?? After all, this is what you do. And he has to know since this is what you do that he's not sliding anything past you too. So could be if you don't speak up he's going to assume it's ok with you.

I've had better luck with the direct approach when it comes to bosses.

Sending tons of Juju your way.

Hugs

DDD

Sorry you have a new stressor to add to the mix. Only you can decide whether to ask or not to ask your boss. My personality is such that I "think" I would ask for a meeting and inquire what's going on. on the other hand, if you do confront the issue, have your act together to answer any/all questions that your Boss might pose about your complete list of responsibilities. Sending hugs, prayers, etc. DDD

DammitJanet

Well considering your boss is also your brother in law, I would have to ask him. At some point in time and life, family bonds just do have to come into play. You have worked there for a long time and if nothing else the man deserves to talk to you about what he is thinking. Its not like this is a business with a thousand people employed there (I dont think...lol) so he can at least take a few minutes out of his day to discuss something that would involve your job. You two are family after all. Werent you there for his son?

Steely

Sending my thoughts your way!!!! I personally would not ask - just because I had the same thing happen to me - and when I asked the whole thing blew up - including me - rather than just taking its natural course of action. But if he is your brother in law than that is different.
<<<HUGS>>>

H

HaoZi

Sending good juju your way. I'd be one to ask what the meeting was about, too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, he is my brother in law, I've been with him since he started the company in 1997 - it was just we two using card tables and cell phones. We have grown into a four office, 14 employee company and we have a couple of subcontractors we work with as well. I've trained I can't even count how many employees, done the hiring of several clerical staff, worked directly with the vendors, insurance agents and brokers, and helped negotiate premiums for same and work very closely with our financial company in regards to the 401k and profit sharing for the company and employees. I handle the bookkeeping for three escrow accounts and assist the bookkeeper who handles our primary account. I also do all the accounts payable and receivables. I have done all this for the company, not only my office. I've traveled to other states to do this, and also Mexico. I am usually the first person of contact, in fact, I am the first person of contact on our website! And if brother in law isn't here, people will often ask to speak with me in his place. I'm also the emergency contact off hours and the person employees contact when there is a problem.

I have known brother in law since I'm 12, that equals 36 years. Yah, we know each other very well, lol.

That's why I know that he's one of those people that keeps things to himself and only after he's made his decisions does he share them with anyone, including me. I have no problem really with just going into his office and asking him - and he would tell me - it's just that I don't know what to expect and I want to be prepared. So, it's true that only I know when the right time would be to approach him and today is definitely not it. Perhaps Wednesday or Thursday. I don't know. Maybe if I'm here alone with him later today I can ask him about it. He's in a meeting right now and I will be leaving around 4:30 today, so we'll see.

Thanks for the positive juju!!!

keista

Positive thoughts an juju coming your way!

Here's a strange question/thought. Is he a very *always* intelligent man? Or is he intelligent, but gets dopey on occasion? Maybe he's been told repeatedly that he could save money if he outsourced this work, but hasn't put it together that he has to get rid of you to realize the savings. I know it's really a DUH?!?!?! kind of thing, but I have met some incredibly intelligent ppl who were NOT able to put this kind of 2 and 2 together.

He may also be thinking that if he outsources this work, that would free you up for other more important tasks or just give you more time - you deserve it having built this company with him.

TerryJ2

I'm sending positive vibes! And, I am the last person to ask for advice in the corporate world. I am not a corporate person. Cannot jump through hoops. Do not like to play games. Hate it.
Sorry, wish I could help.:consoling:

Steely

Yes - I am the same way too. I need prep time for something like a job demotion - or I do not act so calmly. That is why in retrospect I should have waited to ask - and I am glad you are too.
Still sending positive vibes your way.............