Could use some prayers for my dog

klmno

((HUGS))) I'm sorry you have to start the letting go process. It's never easy and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Lothlorien

Thanks all. I had a long talk with a friend today. We talked about a lot of things, not just the dog. I feel a little better, now.

It's kidney failure. Right now, we have her on two different antibiotics, in case of Lymes or another bacterial infection, but the kidney values were so low and dropped so quickly that the damage to her kidneys is such that she won't have more than several months, apparently. She was a 14 pound dog, that is now just under 10. She's even lost weight just since Friday (just a few ounces, but on a 10 pound dog, that's a lot).

We are giving her Pepcid for the stomach issues.

The other treatment that we are doing is subcutaneous fluids. I have to stick a needle in the neck tissue and give her fluids twice a day. Apparently that did help, somewhat, today, because she came home and ate what she refused earlier this morning.

They only gave me three weeks worth of antibiotics. He said they usually do the treatment for six, but if she's not better in three weeks, we will have to talk about putting her down. The vet just kept saying how sorry he was.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Loth, the best advice I can give you is to let the dog tell you when she's had enough. I've had to administer SQ fluids at home on a few occasions and each time I wound up with a furkid that became terrified, if not of me at all times, at least of the equipment.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh Loth -

In light of the vets news - I think that you should take her to Olan Mills or Walmart or someplace and get some really lovely photos done of just the two of you. I think there should be a day in the park - and a picnic lunch where both of you just have a day to forget about SQ fluids and antibiotics and chase butterflies and smell grass and enjoy each other and belly rubs and back scratches and naps in the sunshine.

This little love is teaching you still to make the most out of every day. Isn't she just the most? What a love. :D