Couldn't believe my eyes

Wiped Out

Staff member
I had just finished mowing the lawn, husband and difficult child were shooting some buckets so I decided to sit on the front porch with a bottle of water.

We looked across the street and the kids were playing on the roof!!These were very young kids-the youngest probably being around 3. Then the youngest seemed to be locked out and couldn't get in through the window. husband and difficult child went over to help and they pulled her in.

Next thing we know some of them are back on the roof. One jumps from the roof to the truck hood and onto the ground to go after their pit bull that had gotten loose. Next thing we see the little one outside again on the roof-very close to the edge. husband and I went over and knocked on the door. The kids (about 5 of them were home alone-the oldest-14 outside mowing the lawn did nothing when she saw the kids on the roof.

Our new neighbors called the police who checked it out and called the parents to come home.

It was very scary. We have the seen the little ones playing in the street before. The pitbulls used to run loose until someone complained and they started tying them up. I was walking our dog today and one got loose and came charging and barking at our dog-didn't bite her though. It did scare the heck out of me.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Makes you wonder why someone doesn't have to take a test or get a license to be a parent. Glad someone called the police for the safety of the kids.
I really hate loose dogs but if their kids are left to play on the roof, why would anyone think they would be responsible pet owners.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good grief. I'm guessing the 14 yr is less than thrilled to be watching the sibs.....and obviously isn't up to the task. And odds are cops/cps won't do anything until one of the kids are hurt.

Makes you wonder how some kids make it to adulthood.

We got lucky. The neighbor down the alley who neglected the hades out of their pittbull (or some sort of bull terrior).....had the bank foreclose on their house and had to move last week. I feel bad for the dog though. He was only coming bothering Rowdy cuz he was hungry.

Sounds like you may have an interesting summer coming up.

Hugs

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
This stuff makes me crazy. I have neighbors that I worry about with their kids all the time. I have made the call. I don't like to but I tell ya what I will in a heartbeat if I think a kid is in danger.

beth

DammitJanet

Ugh....a 3 year old on a roof? How stupid.

Now I used to go sit on my roof but it was flat and I got there out dormer windows and I was in my early teens and I went there during teen angst to read. And my kids went out on a roof in a rental we had but the roof was very low...cant even remember how they got there...oh I think a tree. They would go up there and jump on to the trampoline. But they were grade school aged. And boys...and I couldnt keep them inside either.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Sounds like a perfect example of what is wrong with this world....

Unsupervised toddlers playing on the roof and in the street with a dangerous dog-- Apparantly nothing for CPS to get overly excited about--no emergency. And yet, how many times have we heard from members here who have tried so hard to get help for their children, only to become the victims of accusation and investigation?

Makes me crazy! (um...crazier)

--DaisyF

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This sounds like the 7- and 3-y/o boys across the street. Constantly running amok. We finally managed to get them to knock before they run into our house constantly to play with difficult child 2. Never watched by parents, we end up doing it or next door neighbor does. Totally disrespectful, honestly brats. And when it's dinner time for them, their mother comes out & screams. If I was either of them, I'd be a pain in the rear too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
ARE YOU FOR REAL???????

OMG that is just the nuttiest thing I ever .....no....wait -

THE FACT that apparently NO ONE - NO ONE got hauled off is even kookier.

Three children - a three year old on the roof - (I would have had a video rolling for sure) and PIT BULLS running loose?

NO animal control? No CPS? NOTHING?

And just how long did it take for MOm or dad to COME home to that serene scene?

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband and I were stunned. The dad made it home in about 45 minutes. I hope we aren't seeing this kind of stuff all summer!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Now would be a great time to walk over and introduce yourselves as the helpful and kind neighbors across the street ........

who want to be left the heck alone........

:tongue:

JJJ

A friend of mine had a stranger knock on her door and ask her if she was aware that there was a child on her roof. Her TWO YEAR OLD had gotten out of his crib, opened the window and climbed out onto the roof. She knew then she was in for a long childhood.

I'm shocked that CPS didn't do anything. Maybe they will check up on them again??

susiestar

Roll With It
Chances are you need to call EVERY time you see this happening. Why? because these sound like parents who are going to have a 14yo doing full time daycare while they work. And it is too much for a 14yo to supervise that many kids.

It will take about 3 or 4 reports of this to get the proper authorities attention and then they will maybe do something.

I had to make 3 reports on the neighbor who let her 6yo supervise the 3yo outside even with a pond on the property with no fence around it. and there is NO WAY anyone in THEIR house could hear the kids scream - I know because the little one got a bee sting and I heard it and had to POUND on the door to get their attention.

Heck, my neighbors apparently got some supervision because now the older child is not out running around the NEIGHBORHOOD after dark! Yup, at 6 she would be let out to "play" and told not to go "past the paved road (That is 1/4 mile away from their house!) in full dark - and they own the more shallow of the 5 ponds in our block!

So keep calling. It can take a while, but eventually DHS (or CPS if that is what they are called in your area) will say something, if for no other reason than to get YOU to stop bothering the authorities.

I must say that I would have FLIPPED on that situation. Lets all pray they get daycare for the littlest kids at least.