court with easy child tmrw

Jena

sorry i haven't been on and keeping up. i'm trying so hard to steer my own ship at this point here.

hasn't been easy as i know it hasnt' been for everyone else.

heading to criminal court tmrw with easy child. i'm hoping it goes well. not sure what i want to happen yet id like to see some community service thing happen for sure.

she's back in therapy and back home. yet that could just be a honeymoon period due to court tmrw. we'll see.

TerryJ2

I think you're right about that.

Either way, fingers crossed. I hope she gets some help and is able to accept and work with-it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good luck. I hope they giver her enough of a consequence to get through to her, but not too much.

DDD

Here's hoping this is your first and last trip to Court. It is nauseating and stressful. Keeping my fingers crossed. DDD

Jena

hi

they were looking to prosecute, i had a feeling. so last night i sat up till late and did some research trying to figure out how to not let that happen and get her slate wiped clean and give her another chance. than i found it after two hours of research an acod it's called in our county. it adjourns the case for 6 months, if no other arrests upon return to court they seal the case and dismiss its' as if it didnt' happen.

so, after watching 30 ppl get prosecuted, arraigned etc. and by the way we had to go through central booking once there, fingerprints mugshots etc. for her... they called us up. judge just shot off fast get an attorney immediately we're going to trial? i was like oh no we aren't.

i said your honor may i speak? she literally rolled her eyes at me soo nota nice person. i said listen she's 17, currently in therapy since the event to address her issues, has no priors, was under deress due to her youngest sister and i being out of state due to her being ill and i had just returned, is planning on attending college in the fall, this will hurt her for the rest of her life, job applications etc. do we really need to waste the tax payers dollars on a trial for a 17 year old who made a huge mistake? we all make them....

she just wasn't having it, stopped me midpoint to say i advise you not to speak further the d.a. will use anything you say against her, i said that's fine. she rolled her eyes. well luckily the prosecutor who was at the right of me jumped in and said judge we'll accept that yet anymore arrests within 6 mos we go to trial.

so she's got 6 months to get it together keep her nose clean. let's see what she does with that. and yes not so much as a thank you when we walked out. here's hoping i did right thing, i think i did. therapist told me for some reason easy child feels betrayed by me and i think i had to show her i'll stand up for her

DDD

Glad you had the opportunity to advocate, Jena. Most judges do not allow a parent to speak unexpectedly and surely with-o a PD weighing in. Sounds like you did a great job and, lol, lucked out.
Now the ball is in her court. Let's hope that she recognizes that life doesn't have too many second chances. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmmm... They wouldn't even let me say, no, we don't want a PD.

Good for you... Now it's up to easy child. She messes up again, let her handle it.

H

HaoZi

Public warrior mom moment there! Great job on the research, hope she learns to appreciate it one day soon.

Jena

she uttered a thank you by picking me up with a friend from shop where i had to drop truck that broke down :)

the judge literally looked like she'd jump off her chair and onto me. i thought what's the worst she can do? so i kept talking..... :) she did the whole eye rolling thing too, typical female lol.

well she has 6 mos. let's see what she does with it. i thought that was fair, than if she messes up again they'll take it to trial and convict her of it. hoping it doesnt go that way

i'm sitting there watching all these horrors, we were in criminal court. the poor kid who was cracked out, coming down you could tell all alone no one there to advocate for him, than the poor guy who got arrested for using a debit card he found to buy food for his 5 year old son in a grocery store, the guy who wants to see his kid yet the ex wouldn't let him so she screamed he beat me yet he didnt', she was in hallway after talking to him. and i said ok the kid took a pair of socks and wrinkle cream........... why wrinkle cream idunno yet let's face it she messed up bigtime yet it was not something that belonged in trial.

the way these ppl got treated was disgusting. i said something to the court officer as i walked out. he was picking on these kids sit up straight put your arm down. i was like do you think ppl with whom are arrested are in human? they deserve respect their human beings. got me sooo mad.

klmno

If this was a hearing to decide if it goes to trial then it was an arraignment- the plea you were trying to make isn't supposed to happen at the arraignment and that is why the judge reacted strongly. BUt it sounds like the prosecutor was just trying to avoid it getting more out of control. Basicly, this was dropped. And yes, you and your daughter are VERY lucky.

Jena

no i looked it up online last night i was allowed to, yet usually a lawyer would do it. when your there with-o a lawyer they overlook you because they figure you'll just listen, eat it, etc. kinda thing. lawyer that was there after said good for you guys.. either way it's done for now

svengandhi

You can plead a case out at arraignment. My H does this with his teenaged clients quite often. The ACD will be expunged from their record and it will be as if she was never arrested.

I'm glad that you were able to do this for her.

Jena

yea that's exactly why i did it. i figure ok give the kid 6 mos. let's see and if it goes well than it should be wiped clean in my eyes...... funny thing is when i researched it in brooklyn it's an acd, yet in my county it's an aocd. so i was jumbling up my words a bit talking to judge..... she was like umm what?? i was like isn't it an acd or an acod case?? LOL