Coworker's fat comment has me upset and more determined than ever

nerfherder

If y'all want to laugh...

The primary reason I started on a weight loss track in 2000 was... well, my spine. I injured my lower back and the MRI showed bulging disks - at age 36! I realized that all ideas about fat acceptance aside, 5'2" and 180+ did not make for good physical outcomes in the years to come.

Plus DEX and I were not quite swinging from the chandeliers but we weren't in bed at the time my back went pop either. If I wanted to be athletic in intimate moments and avoid further injury, I needed to be in better shape the rest of the time too.

:)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
*snort*
Part of the reason I like to stay in decent shape is as you put it intimate moments. Whether or not I had a boyfriend or husband at the time. Not top shape (though I'd love that and have for inspiration an article of this really old guy that got into body building and won awards on my fridge), but decent shape. This back sprain has really put a hamper on things in all areas of my life, and that's the one that irks me the most!

I'm sadly, a pretty hardcore junkivore, trying to reform. My weight is decent (as in, within 10-15lbs of goal weight), but due to years of coffee, soda, smoking, and Depo shots, my bones are already going bad and I need to turn that around as best I can. Eating better and adding strength training can help that. I've mostly given up my coffee, hardly drink soda at all any more. Smoking... ummm... ahem. Yeah, that's going to be a LOT harder.

Being the ultra-picky people we are, veggies aren't happening here. Nor are most fruits. So I'm focusing on whole grains, organic greek yogurt, light soymilk (I'm lactose intolerant and need that calcium) and trying to pay more attention to eating chemical-free and GMO-free food. So that's my personal plan. But those stupid doughnuts keep calling my name every time I'm in the store and don't let me leave without them. Though my kid eats most of them.

BusynMember

Thank you all for your support. I can always count on everyone here making me feel better. I went to Weight Watchers on Saturday. At first I didn't want to know how much I weighed. At my last visit three months ago I weighed 164 and I thought that was bad enough. I thought for sure that I must have gained at least 15 to 20 pounds since then. I thought I would have about 60 pounds to lose total. But I accidentally saw my current weight when the lady wrote it down and my weight was 171. So it's not as much as I had feared. I gained six pounds since my last Weight Watcher's visit. So to get to my goal weight of 125 I need to lose 46 pounds. Still a lot to lose and the most I have ever weighed in my life, but it's not as bad as I thought. So I know I can do this. I am hoping I can lose at least half of it during summer before I go back to work in September. My mom is paying for me to go to Weight Watchers so I have more motivation to lose it. I will be weighed once a week so I will be held accountable. Plus I don't want my mom to be wasting her money. So I know I will be successful in my weight loss. Thanks again ladies for all your kind words.

I love WW. It's not a fad diet and was voted (again) the best and healthiest diet for weight loss. I eat a lot of frozen fat free Greek yogurt, which are only two points and are great for calcium, which women need for bone health. I freeze the yogurt,t hen melt it for 30 seconds in the microwave a nd I feel like I'm eating ice cream. I gobble down healthy fruits and veggies too because they are no points and are extremely important for your health and for weight loss.

I track everything I eat and I work out about five days a week to get those activity points. I feel sooooooooooo much better just with eleven points off of my creaky knees...lol. I also have gastric reflux and with this diet, it just doesn't act up at all. None of that icky aftertaste in my throat. I have tons of energy and I'm going to be sixty! Keep it up. If you want to be a WW partner with me, hey, send me a PM a nd we can do it via e-mail or on the phone. I don't have a partner and they recommend getting one.

If you hate to exercise like me, but know it's good for you, you can call me and we can talk on the phone while we walk/run (I jog) and the time will go faster...lolol. I'm serious too. I'd be happy to partner up with you. I can't say enough about how this program has changed my eating habits and motivated me to kick up my workouts (which, as I said, I really don't enjoy).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :sigh:

Californiablonde

What I love about Weight Watchers is that I never have to go hungry. I can eat all the fruit and green veggies I want because they are zero points. So if I ever feel like a snack or I'm still hungry after a meal I can have some fruit if I feel like it. Also the free 100 weekly points is great. So if someone at my work is having a birthday I can say yes to a small piece of cake for about 15 points. My boyfriend and I go to our favorite sports bar every other Sunday when the kids are with their dad and we have beer and sandwiches. I can use up some of my free points for the beer. I am never deprived any of my favorite foods so I won't feel like I am suffering. I have been on the diet for about three days now and haven't cheated once. I am confident I can lose the weight. Now if I can get difficult child on board with me I will be very happy. She is content with her weight, despite her dad calling her fat and always putting her down about her size. I am taking her to her first meeting next week. Her doctors are all on my case about her losing weight. I think difficult child can lose the weight too with my help.

InsaneCdn

At her age, it's more important to focus on "healthy eating" than "healthy weight". Somehow, teenagers really resent any "weight" concern - in either direction. But the "healthy eating" focus of WW is good for her too. Can she go, and NOT use the scale, or at least not after the first visit, until whatever point she wants to? The first one would give her a "starting point" to compare to if/when she is ready. Beyond that... get her eating healthy. The weight will come.

Californiablonde

Hopefully so. We saw her gastroenterologist yesterday and she really put the scare in me. She told me at difficult child's weight she is at risk for diabetes, heart failure, joint problems, and sleep apnea. She wants her to lose a total of 74 pounds. The immediate goal for summertime is to lose 24 pounds. She wrote up the recommendation to take to our Weight Watcher's meeting next week.

InsaneCdn

The immediate goal for summertime is to lose 24 pounds
JMO but... for a teenager, that's too much, too fast.
Eating healthy, getting active, and making "some" impact on weight should be the first goal - not 24 lbs in 10 weeks.
10 lbs in 10 weeks would be excellent... and if she even got half of that but could do 5 lbs every 10 weeks on an on-going basis... she'll get there.

Californiablonde

I don't necessarily agree with the doctor either. She says at her height her goal weight should be 120 pounds. difficult child and I are both 5'2. When I was at my skinniest I was 125 pounds and I was a size four and even those jeans were baggy on me. I am very small boned. My ring size is a 4 if that gives you any indication how small boned I am. So maybe I could weigh 120 pounds at 5'2, but difficult child is very large boned. She has wide shoulders and large hands. Telling her to weigh 120 pounds I think is ridiculous. But this doctor is a gastroenterologist so weight isn't exactly her specialty. I personally would be happy if difficult child could get down to about 135. I don't think it's unreasonable at her height and for her bone structure. Right now she is just a few pounds away from 200 which I know is dangerous. So I am going to support her and encourage her for her health. difficult child loves fruit so I am going this weekend to stock up on a bunch of it. I think she will be able to stick with this plan better because she can have unlimited fruit and she is a bulk eater. So she will never have to go hungry. We are going to adopt a life style change to benefit all of us. My boyfriend wants to lose about 50 pounds and although he is not going to be joining weight watchers, he is going to cut back on his calories and junk food as well. So I am going to start buying a lot healthier and I will be cooking more. We are going to limit fast food to hopefully twice a week. Now that my summer break is starting in a few weeks I will have more time and energy to cook. I am really excited about this. I get weighed again on Saturday and I am hoping and praying I at least lost something.

InsaneCdn

We are going to adopt a life style change to benefit all of us. My boyfriend wants to lose about 50 pounds and although he is not going to be joining weight watchers, he is going to cut back on his calories and junk food as well. So I am going to start buying a lot healthier and I will be cooking more
THIS approach works.
It's not about deprivation, and it's not about any one person.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Yes, changing what is available at home for everyone and focusing on healthy eating can (and likely will) make a difference for everyone. :)

JKF

That's what we do at home too. It's not just about one of us wanting to lose weight - it's about a healthy lifestyle for all of us. I never buy chips or cookies or other junk because if it's there we'll eat it. I don't even buy granola bars and stuff like that because they're basically just empty calories. I keep a ton of fruits and veggies on hand and my younger son loves snacking on sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, etc. For dessert I keep frozen yogurt and sliced fruit in the freezer and I also keep sugar free pudding cups in the fridge. I'm not saying that we never have treats - we just have them sparingly and in moderation. Like today, for example - after a LONG week for all of us, not only are we ordering pizza, but I also stopped at the local bakery and picked up some German chocolate brownies for us to have for dessert. An occasional special treat in moderation is perfectly fine in my opinion. The most important thing to remember is - it's not a "diet" - it's a lifestyle.

As for exercise - I hate hate hate traditional exercise! With a passion. So instead, what I do, is I try to walk more. At work I walk to the farthest bathroom in the building instead of the one next to our office. At the store, I park all the way at the end of the lot. At home when I clean, I do a few trips up and down the stairs instead of just one, etc. Also, I like to put on music when I'm cooking and cleaning and I can't help but bust a move or two - hahaha. All of that activity adds up and I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Little changes make a big difference and it takes time and dedication but I know you can do it!!!

Californiablonde

I go to my second meeting tomorrow. I didn't technically start the diet until Monday so I will have five days of eating good under my belt when I get weighed. I am hoping I at least lost a pound. I would be happy with that since I haven't been on it for a full week yet. I have been so good all week. I am crossing fingers I lose something.