CPR/First Aid class

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child and I are taking the Red Cross class all day tomorrow for CPR/First Aid Adults/Infants. I am really looking forward to it.

I'm still terribly weak from being so sick this past week, but I wouldn't miss this!! I have wanted to take this class for a few YEARS and now we're finally doing it! I hope I can stay awake all day. That's been the most difficult thing this week - staying awake. Anyway, please send me some "awake" vibes for tomorrow please! Thanks.

mstang67chic

Going Green
~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~OO~~

Vibes with wide awake eyes!

Good luck with the class and be sure not to over do it. You'll need your energy and strength for the CPR dummies. (The infant ones always creep me out a bit)

The last time I took one was when husband and I needed it for our foster license before we got difficult child. I totally aced the bandaging part of the first aid. Guess all that time spent bandaging husband's various injuries paid off! LOL

Andy

I will pack up my awake vibes and you can use them for as long as you like. I should wake up early to clean but I think it more important you are awake tomorrow than for me to be so. (see how good I am at getting out of work?)

I really liked the Red Cross CPR/First Aid classes and am overdue for a refreasher course.

Good luck tomorrow!

eekysign

Go you! I just got recertified in Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Epi-Pen, etc.....makes you feel good for weeks. ;) Like you're suddenly a slightly more useful human being. Hehehe.

*AWAAAAAAAAAAAAKE* (WAAAAAAAAAAAAKE UP! WAAAAAAAAAKE UP!)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
*Packs your backpack with coffe and mountain dew*

Just being in the class ought to be enough to keep you awake. It's hands on. At least all of mine have been that way.

Reminds me........I've got to sign up for one again. My stupid card expired on me. ugh

Good for you girls!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
That is very good. I will happily send those good vibes. That is the world I live in so it always warms my heart to see people from my other walks of life doing it.

Might I add pay very close attention when you take that test at the end. More times than not people tell me they are trick questions but I guarentee the answers will either be told to you by the instructor or the video.

hugs,
beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
Been certified for years, but it has expired. I guess there is a new way to save a life.

Good luck on the course!!

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, thanks so much for all the awake vibes! I almost fell asleep towards mid afternoon. The instructor was droning on and on, going over first aid things fast so we could finish up and it was just boring. I actually enjoyed reading the instructional book and it had so much comprehensive information! And the videos were very information. But I kept laughing because they reminded me of an SNL skit!

Wow. I really loved this class. It was fun working with the plastic mannequins and learning how it all works. easy child enjoyed the class too - a lot.

I do have to say, however, the class seemed a bit bogus at a certain point. Like when I was partnered with this woman who didn't have a clue. She brought her 2 year old granddaughter with her and clearly wasn't paying attention throughout the class. I am amazed the 2 y/o was able to hold it together from 8AM to 5PM, really, but at times she was a distraction. Then, when it was time to do the AED machine - the grandmother ended up as my partner. When we switched sides, she didn't know what to do. I tried to tell her, but she did her own thing and it was all wrong. I learned that she took the class because she is opening a day care in her home. And her adult daughter was with her, but behaved so completely disconnected from the child. It was wierd. This woman should not have gotten certified for the CPR portion. At all. I am calling on Monday to say something. I think it's wrong that we all pay $75 to take this class, take it seriously and then someone like this woman gets certified when it was clear she hadn't a clue what was going on. At one point the instructor asked us to give examples of when we would use rescue breathing and she said, "Um, when they is cut or bleeding"....Um, that would be NO. The instructor already had all the cards printed out. Years ago, you had it mailed to you upon completion of the class and passing of the test. What is up with this??

And there was this couple that sat directly in front of easy child and they drove her nuts with all their PDA...ugh, it was so gross. They were constantly touching each other or massaging or rubbing one another - it really was obnoxious. I get it, they were in love, etc, about to have their first baby, whatever...after a while, however, easy child and I (and I'm sure others) were about ready to tell them to just KNOCK IT OFF!!! I think I saw easy child's skin actually crawl at some point. And to make it worse, the H was constantly checking out other women in the class when his wife wasn't looking!!! Ew.

Okay, vent over. Hahah. Thanks for the vibes. I am now certified in CPR/AED and First Aid for adults, children and infants.:D

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Good for you. Some of that is not good and should definately be brought to the attention of the person in charge of the program. The certificates should not have been handed out if she did not pass. That is a major boo boo on someones part. Glad you got something from the class and very angry that some parts weren't quite up to par on it.

beth

donna723

I'm sorry that the class didn't turn out better and that everybody didn't take it as serious as you did. But at least you learned something and got certified. The thought of that clueless woman being certified and opening a day care is downright scary!

My daughter is a nurse so she's already certified. She used to teach Red Cross CPR classes as a volunteer and she would have had a fit if someone behaved that way during one of her classes! My son-in-law just took the Infant/Child CPR and First Aid classes at the hospital where they had their baby. They offer this along with the Lamaze classes and the Infant and Child Care classes and it's good to know that he will know what to do if the baby ever becomes sick or is injured. It's frightening to think that somebody bluffed their way through this class if some day a childs life could depend on them remembering what they should have learned!

Andy

Include in your complaint that NOONE should be allowed to bring a child to that class. This is one subject that should have as little amount of distractions as possible. That was error number one on this person's long list.

I know these classes are expensive around here (atleast $30) so usually only the very serious take the class.

I also agree that so what if the certificate is made ahead of time? They do not have to present them to airheads. Just write up a note why this person doesn't qualify and send back to the office so next time she applies maybe someone can give her a pep talk about not bringing her own distractions and to work at the class.

Word will get out quickly that you don't have to know the material to be certified and everyone will run to get that on their resumes.

I bet the instructor(s) were very discouraged that day. Glad you were there to allow them to feel their time was valuable to atleast one person.