cps at my door

svengandhi

CPS showed up at my door a few weeks after youngest boy (12 in a couple of months) was born.

Oldest boy's teacher had called because he hadn't done well on a practice test for a state test in math and H had refused her demand that we remove our son and his sister from a local community theater production.

I freaked but let them in. It was about 8 at night and H was at a rehearsal with the kids. difficult child, who was 4 1/2, took her around the house and showed the lady the fridge and the drawers with his clothing in them. I showed her my son's recent report cards and latest medical evaluations.

They did talk to the kids at school. My son said he loved being in the show and he didn't do well on the practice test because he knew it didn't count, so why bother (he got 99%ile on the real test later that month). My daughter said she loved being in the show and promised to study. Apparently, she also said I was the best mommy in the world and she wouldn't even want Princess Diana to be her mommy (she was 7 at the time!).

The case worker came back on the night of our Passover Seder and we invited him to join us. He told us that he was filing a complaint against the school for filing an unwarranted complaint. Although I was happy about that, I was a little concerned that CPS might ignore a legitimate call from them but he said it would not happen because they don't cross-reference.

We did get a letter saying that we couldn't be foster parents for 28 years, but I consider that a positive as H had been talking about taking in foster kids when ours were grown and I have no interest in doing that.

I am sorry that you were upset but in retrospect maybe asking them in and just showing your paperwork would have taken care of it. I would probably not have shown them a sleeping difficult child if there was any chance of waking her up but short of that, I cooperated with them. My theory is, If you have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

Good luck.

BusynMember

I agree that it's best not to get defensive or angry. But it's your right to refuse to let them in.

Having said that, I have always let them in because I had nothing to hide and it's always gone away fast.

Hugs and luck!!!!

svengandhi

Daisy -

I have no clue. Both H and I are attorneys and we read the letter multiple times and it said even though the complaint was unfounded, we couldn't be foster parents for 28 years (which seemed like a bizarre number). I never went beyond it because, as I said, I have no interest in being a foster parent and I figured the letter would keep H from trying to pursue it. It could be a mistake but I wasn't unhappy about it so I never tried to unravel it.