Crazy couple of days - Residential Treatment Facility (RTF)

AnnMarieTN

Tuesday was a crazy day!

I took the day off from work. husband, easy child and I had just finished lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant when difficult child's school called me.

He was making suicidal comments again and the school was calling in the Mobile Crisis Unit (they have been called two other times at difficult child's regular school).

So, we head home to drop easy child off at my Mom's. When I get home, the phone rings. It's the residential treatment facility that we were looking at for difficult child. His insurance had sent through their approval and they were wanting to know if we could bring him today.

SO, I said my goodbyes to easy child, we jumped in the car, picked up difficult child from school and drove 4 1/2 hours to this facility.

He slept most of the way there. He was upset when we first got there, but calmed down fairly quickly. After we got him admitted, we drove back home. We got home about 2:00 a.m

I had to be up at 7:00 a.m. to get ready for difficult child's court date. All I had to do was let the judge know where he is.

I feel really good about the facility. husband went with me and looked around. He has worked at a local facility for 17 years and he was very impressed with this place. That made me feel a lot better.

difficult child will be there 4-7 months depending on how well he follows the program. I think this will be good for all of us. My BiPolar (BP) has already gone from 180/100 to 126/86.

I know we still have a long road to travel, but I feel this is definitely a step in the right direction.

DDD

I am so happy for you and your family. To get a bed in a facility that you have every reason to believe is "right"....it's just awesome. I hope this is the perfect placement for your difficult child. Hugs. DDD

jbrain

Awesome, AnnMarie! I hope you can take this time to regroup! I remember when I left my dtr at her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (it was in Utah, we live in NY) I just felt such relief while waiting in the airport to go back to NY. I felt really good about the place she was in. So, instead of crying or feeling sad that I was leaving her so far away from home I just felt like a huge rock had been lifted off my shoulders. She was safe, she was getting help, and our family could have some peace.

Hugs,
Jane