Cream + ??? = buttermilk substitute????

DDD

I know you can add something to milk or cream to "make" buttermilk. Yes,
I learned it in Home Easy Child. back in the 50's. ;) Half the time I don't remember what happened last week so obviously I don't remember something from decades ago...LOL.

Anybody know?? DDD

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I'm thinking it was vinegar(cider kind), but could be wrong so wait before you add it, til someone else can verify.....was thinking a tablespoon of vinegar to cup of milk.......

KTMom91

It's vinegar, 1 tablespoon in 1 cup of milk. Buttermilk biscuits, with butter and honey on them...yum...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I thought that just curdled the milk!

I remember once my mom sat in amused silence (she was ticked at the tiime) while watching my dad pour her lemonade into his creamered coffee to cool it down, thinking it was ice water. It suddenly looked like he had cottage cheese in there! :rofl:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I love google! :thumbsup:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Cultmilk.html

buttermilk Notes: Despite its name and creamy consistency, buttermilk is relatively low in fat. It's sometimes tolerated by people with lactose intolerance since some of the lactose is fermented by bacteria. Most of the buttermilk found in supermarkets is cultured buttermilk, made by adding a bacterial culture to low-fat or nonfat milk. More authentic and tasty, though, is churn buttermilk, which is the liquid that remains after milk is churned into butter. Since recipes often call for just small amounts of buttermilk, many cooks use reconstituted powdered buttermilk. Substitutes: Combine one cup of milk (or soymilk) plus one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar, and allow to stand for ten minutes OR Combine one cup of milk plus two teaspoons cream of tartar, and allow to stand for ten minutes OR Combine two parts plain yogurt plus one part milk OR plain, low-fat yogurt OR sour cream OR molasses (in batters that also call for baking soda) Cooking hints: Churn buttermilk may require longer baking times than ordinary commercial buttermilk.

Suz

DDD

Thank you. As always, you all are better and faster than an encyclopedia! Now I can decide whether to try the new recipe
without buying buttermilk that might just sit unopened...lol.

The recipe isn't for biscuits (rats!). It's chicken breasts soaked
in buttermilk, then fast fried and subsequently served with a
pineapple sauce. If I fix it at least it will be different than the same old
same old.

You all are the greatest! DDD