Creative Outdoor Cooking ???

DDD

The Big Canoe Challenge is coming up in a couple of weeks. Remember the big fundraiser with the canoes that can hold 14?? Remember the sand
sculpture contest?? Remember the stress :woohoo: last year?? Yikes!

Well.....this year is falling into place nicely and I'm just looking for some
creative ideas as the food needs to be decided on this week. Last year
we had hot dogs/hamburgers. This year I want something that is different
and "smells great" at the outdoor, lakeside site for the race. These are my ideas at the moment. Please kick in yours.

At 8:30 AM when the people arrive the smell of coffee ? or hot chocolate?
AND cinnamon buns waifs thru the park. Don't you suppose some bucks
would fly out of pockets and little kids would be saying "please Mommy"?
LOL!

Then around 10 the grill needs to be polluting the air with that enticing
charcoal aroma. ;) Water and juice and soft drinks will be available
all along. The big question is what to fix on the grill that is easy, cheap,
smells good and is "different" enough for the radio team can comment on
it. I'm thinking 4 or 6 oz. boneless skinless chicken with different flavors
served on skewers? Baby ears of corn?

That's as far as my brain has traveled. It would be easy, different, cheap. Hmmmmm.....would little kids run with the skewers and stick themselves? :faint:

I've got to get back to work. I'll check in later.

Hmmmmmmmmm......what about fondue at an outdoor park? Would that be cool?????? DDD

everywoman

How about a chili cookoff to go along with the rest of the days events. You could have teams who cook---they could also serve to the public for a few. You could collect a fee for entry and a portion of the take---they could then win a monetary prize or trophy---it would be easy for you---they would provide the food, cooking utensils, etc.

nvts

Sausage, peppers and onions on really fresh hero rolls! The sausage smells absolutely wonderful on the grill, and the peppers and onions can be sautee'd the day before.

If that doesn't grab 'em, nothing will! ;)

DDD

The sausage, onions, peppers and chili all sound terrific.........it's almost time to head home and cook!

The "team" has decided on something "creative". I agree BUT still need suggestions.

Because biking, walking, canoeing are health related (the organization is an advocacy group of countywide trails) it's been decided to go "heart healthy" "low carb" as a sub-theme. It will get good press and once you start thinking about it...it's easy.

So far......boneless, skinless chicken breasts on skewers...pineapple chunks on skewers..??? other "walkabout" grill stuff?

Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, etc.) arranged as table decor and free for the grabbing. Maybe fresh strawberries in little cups sprinkled with 4x sugar. Bottled water and ???? juices in containers in lieu of cokes etc. etc. Maybe oatmeal cookies?

Sorry for the change in direction. Think HEALTHY and easy. No need for
mustard, catsup, buns, etc. No need for plates and utensils. Sounding good.

I've got to get home and fix dinner. Sausage/peppers/onions OR chili???
Yummy. DDD

Andy

Gaterade/Powerade are the drinks of choice for athletes.

Hot apple cider goes over well on cool days.

Large Dixie cups (or 6 - 9 oz plastic/paper cups) of "trail mix" - chex cereal, bite size red licorice, mini M & M's, mini pretzels, mini marshmallows, anything that you can purchase in bulk inexpensively - mix it up in a large Rubbermaid tub.