Critters

DammitJanet

Last night we could have used animal control ourselves!

About 8:30 or so my dog started barking up a storm in the kitchen and simply wouldnt be shushed. Tony investigated because he was standing at attention and facing his food dish, just barking away. When he looked closer he noticed this little baby......

POSSUM!

He really was cute once you got past the hissing and barred teeth...lol. I dont know how he got in the house. We .... or should I say Tony... caught him in a box and we put some dog food in there and we were gonna go turn him loose in the woods but it was really raining out. Ummmm...so we just left him in the box and went to bed. Well...baby possum chewed his way out so I hope he left the way he came in...lol.

On another note, I had lost one of my cats... Phantom. He had been missing for about a month now. I figured either he had got killed somehow or someone took him in. Well Tony found him sleeping in the laundry room this morning but when Tony saw him he ran from the room and out of the house. I dont know what is up with him. I guess we will see if he comes back. He might be wild now.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE BABY POSSUMS! I've rehabed three of them. Absolutely the most UNGREATFUL critters ever.

As far as SUperhero cat goes? Well WHO named the SHADOW cat phantom?

......(interlude music) ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS...........

sounds like he's trying to live up to his name........

Abbey

Spork Queen
Janet, I'll never forget when my son was in kindergarten and it was some sort of food thing that parents brought. One mom brought a tray of possum and squirrel. Yep...I'm living in the south.

Abbey

DammitJanet

LOL Abbey...I have never eaten possum but I have had squirrel. Squirrel burger is not bad.

Yes my boys used to go hunting squirrels. I think that was the first thing they learned to hunt.

Abbey

Spork Queen
LOL Abbey...I have never eaten possum but I have had squirrel. Squirrel burger is not bad.

Yes my boys used to go hunting squirrels. I think that was the first thing they learned to hunt.

And all I brought was a big veggie tray. (Passed on the squirrel and possum.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
How many cans may I put you down for? Ya'll just ain't lived until ye' et sum.

(It's vienna sausages or potted meat with a re-done lable) I send some to my Mother in the Great North - and OMG what an @$$ I am) :tongue: went over like a led balloon.

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG, Star...where do you come up with stuff like this??? Huh???

Heck Hole Swamp in Florida? Choice snouts, feet and tails? What are the bad snouts? Dollar store item? Oh, geez...

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
(One of Dads Republic Steel Mill stories)

One of the guys I work with is an avid hunter. Every Fall he'd take a vacation day to go squirrel hunting. Some years he bow hunted, some years he got just a license for shooting squirrels. Well now this guy came back to work on Monday and everyone wanted to know how the bow hunting for squirrel went. And the story starts like this -

"Well I pulled back the bow and saw two squirrels up in the tree. I'm such a dogggone good hunter I released my arrow and got both of those squirrels with one arrow. I've never seen anything like it before in my life - two squirrels with ONE arrow! So I'm feeling pretty lucky with my two squirrels on one stick deal and I hear chatter from above. I draw back and see one big, enormous gray squirrel with a little, stubby, hairless tail. I took aim and SSSWwwwwwosh that arrow went right up in the tree, and hit that squirrel right in the mouth. Then down from the tree canopy came a teeny, tiny, white set of what I can only guess was squirrel teeth. Dangdest thing you ever saw."

Well when they asked this same guy about the next hunting season for squirrel and how he did in the harvest he said to my Dad and the guys at the mill......

"Well there I was all camoflauged up and practically invisible to squirrels. I did my calls, and heard nothing but some annoying knocking sounds. After about an hour and 1/2 of this knock, knock, knock I moved from my spot to hunt down the source of this sound. After about 1/2 mile hike I came across a wooded thicket and peeked into it. There standing in the middle of all of it was a sight I never thought I'd ever tell tale for. But you remember that old, fat, gray squirrel with the hairless, stubby tail from last years hunt? The one up in the tree chattering at me I shot that arrow at? Well sir - there he was. Most amazing thing I ever saw -poor fat, grey, stubby-tailed, hairless, toothless squirrel trying to use rocks to bust open a nut."

So to answer your question Janet - um......NO......I have a PTSD moment from life on the Amish farm and Grandma boiling an entire squirrel in a pot of water...Made me a vegetarian for YEARS.

Abbey

Spork Queen
.I have a PTSD moment from life on the Amish farm and Grandma boiling an entire squirrel in a pot of water...Made me a vegetarian for YEARS.

(dying laughing)

Did she at least skin it?Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Awwwwwwww. A baby possum!! :D I hope he found Mamma.

Nichole and I cared for a baby hedgehog for awhile. Fed a squirrel for years. He used to knock on the patio door to let us know he was there. :)

Um...... I've eaten squirrel. blech. My stepdad kept telling my Mom she didn't do it right. But I swear it was the gamiest piece of meat I've ever put into my mouth. I'd imagine it would take an awful lot of them to make burgers. lol

Rabbit, though.....oh yeah. Cute lil buggers and they taste good too. :D lol

As for the cat, maybe Tony startled it, or it was hurt. Willie used to be skiddish when he came home hurt. We'd have to make up to him before he'd let us treat his wounds. I think he's passed away. We haven't seen him all spring.......and he's usually hanging out with us on the porch long before now. :(

everywoman

I live in the heart of redneck, hunting good ole boy country, and I have never, ever eaten squirrel or possum. In fact, I do not eat any wild meat---ugh!

Abbey, we actually do have a He** Hole Swamp here in SC--only 45 miles up the road---they have a lovely festival every year. My sister in law was actually Miss He** Hole Swamp. That title took her to the Miss SC Pageant back in the 80's.

KTMom91

If this is what's for dinner in the south, I think I'd better stay in California. You ladies are scaring me.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well just a tip from your Auntie Star -

When you DO come south and you get served Cream of Wheat? DO NOT (repeat) DO NOT put butter and sugar on them unless you want everyone in the restaurant to point, laugh and mutter the word "Yankee." (still very very popular here)

Matter of fact today on the SC website for paying taxes - I had to reset our password. The password they gave was sounded out phonetically -
W as in Woman, X as in xylophone, eight, nine, one, Z as in Zebra, Y as in......(not kidding at all) Yankee. All these years and still - :laugh:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Star

I eat my Cream O Wheat with sugar and milk. (yes, I'm a yankee) Honestly.......I dunno how someone could eat it without it.

Although mother in law is a true southern lady and eats her grits......with just a tad o' butter. Tasted them that way once.......thought I was eating sand. lol

DammitJanet

Cream of wheat is eaten with milk and sugar.

Grits on the other hand are eaten with butter and salt and pepper.

You can also eat Hot rice with milk and sugar too. Or hot rice with a barely boiled egg in it with butter and salt and pepper.

Oatmeal is a meal all on its own. I like it with butter, milk, and sugar. Tony only likes butter and sugar.

Star*

call 911........call 911
:tongue:

I like my grits - butter and sugar
I like my cream of wheat - butter and sugar
I like my oatmeal - butter and sugar
I like my sweetpoato - butter and sugar

I like my possum - butter and sugar.....