curious what you wear

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
to church. This is not a religious question but a clothing question. If you go to church what do you wear and what does your family wear? Just curious as my PARENTS are in town and are coming to see me join the catholic church and replied they didn't know there was a dress code. I will let you know what they plan to wear later. If my head comes back to sitting right on my shoulders.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, often it depends on the church. Some can be pretty uppity about dress, while others can be terribly relaxed about it. Most I think are in between.

Believe me, with a religious fanatic as a mother, we attended ALOT of churches over the years of my childhood. lol

How do the people in the church you're joining tend to dress? Do they arrive in casual clothing, or dressy type clothes (dresses, trousers dress shirts) or more formal suits and such?

Honestly, I doubt anyone will comment if your parents attire doesn't exactly fit "in" with the congregation. Probably just nice clothes would be fine.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Our church growing up - was ALL dress - we would have never EVER worn jeans or women slacks (but alas I am old)

Our church now - COULD NOT care less - and we have everything from women who wear hats (my best friend) and I always wear a dress and I think it's a matter of showing respect (how I was raised) but the kids and Dude - wear jeans. He dresses nicely but he dresses like he's in a Thug-a-thon.

Some of the girls wear flip flops. The pastors line of thinking is fairly open - and he says that to GET the youth IN is the main thing - if they can dress however fine. Once they get an idea of how young men and women are to dress and set an example? Then we'll see a change - but getting them there is more important than how they look.......

And on occasion - I've seen women come in jeans too -

I don't think God cares what you wear. If I remember correctly he didn't like clothes in the first place.

Hugs

tiredmommy

I personally believe that the unwritten dress code is a big reason some people don't go to church. I often wear jeans or khaki pants with a knit top, shorts in the summer. Even sandals! I'll probably wear a skirt or dress pants with a nice top tomorrow since it's Easter and all. I dress nicely for baptisms, weddings and funerals too.

So Tired

I have to wear whatever fits me at the current moment! :wink-very:

Seriously though, our church is very casual. You just have to look like you made an effort: clothes are clean, pressed. Jeans are O.K. with a nice sweater and boots.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ok well maybe I over reacted when they told me that my step dad would be wearing jeans. Just not my idea of church attire especially for a special easter service. Ah well. After my tantrum (guess parents can still make that happen) my step dad went out and bought a new pair of khakis. I didn't say he had to but evidentally my tone was not very nice.

KTMom91

I'm wearing capris with a tank top and big shirt over it and my ever-present Birks. Our church is pretty casual; lots of people wear jeans and cowboy boots.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Most weeks I wear jeans. In the summer I often wear sun dresses or even a nice pair of shorts. For the holiday I dress up a bit-pair of dress pants or dress depending on the weather. difficult child and easy child will probably be in jeans-maybe even husband.

I know growing up that would have been horrible but at our church we see everything.

TerryJ2

My husband's church is Baptist and they dress up, although every so often I see goth teens with-studs in their noses. Go figure.
My church is UU and much more casual. Lots of jeans, tie dye and Birkenstocks. I wear dress pants or shorts; what matters to me is that my shoes are comfortable in case I stand around and talk.
In the summer there are beach churches in the Outer Banks and everyone there wears shorts.

witzend

At a Catholic Church on Easter, jeans would not be well received. I'm glad he went and got some khakis. That should be fine.

susiestar

Roll With It
Growing up we were supposed to dress up for the Catholic Church. My gma went to a different one, and they dressed up - and still do. Easter was ALWAYS even FANCIER. Always were supposed to wear new clothes.

Our church now is Episcopal - husband wears khaki cargo pants in winter, khaki cargo shorts in summer. With a nice collared shirt. Jess wears a skirt, but not all the girls do. thank you is in charge of his clothing now, so he picks out his outfit. Some days a shirt with a hole chewed in it - usually because the only time I can get it off him is when he is asleep - wash, dry, and put it back on before he wakes up. (He is in a "cycle" where fighting over his shirt, or wearing one that doesn't feel right is just a recipe for disaster.) Usually thank you LIKES to wear nice collared shirts and khaki or navy dress pants AND A TIE. The tie is HIS idea - he ASKED for one!!! (You could have knocked me over with a feather when we were out and he found a men's silk tie - and asked his tat to show him how to tie it to wear to church! IT was cute, but shocking. We got a kids tie and he was OK with that.) For tomorrow thank you has a new plaid shirt and he wants to wear it. Jess has a new shirt, and wants to wear her fave skirt.

Some kids wear jeans, most wear shorts or short skirts in summer. One girl wears really obnoxious tshirts. You can tell she is trying to bug her parents. But they are pretty unflappable. They told husband they did refuse to let her wear one that said "Jesus is DEAD. Get over it." The girl, while trying to bug her parents, is STILL there at every function to help, all by herself. Even at things her parents are not at. So no one gets too upset at her antics.

(Heck, no one gets upset when thank you goes off to a quiet room and sits by himself during the service. Sometimes the noise bugs him, or the incense is used and that ALWAYS causes problems for him.)

Susie

K

Kjs

OMG...I went to a catholic school. Although we were allowed to wear jeans to school (no dress code) there was no way my father would allow me to wear anything but a dress to church. An he, his suit and tie.

Now, a million years later, there is everything from jeans - dresses - suits. Special holidays people dress up more for.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I haven't been to church in years so take this as you will. (now that it's all over anyway) When I went, I always wore a dress, always. Granted this was back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's but still. I usually went to small country churches so that may have had something to do about it but the women either wore dresses or very nice slacks but mostly dresses.

My folks didn't go to church but always made sure I went if I wanted to. However, as casual as my mom was, she taught me that there are times that you have to dress up, mostly for respect. Church, weddings, funerals, interviews, etc. I am fine with the idea of wearing casual clothes to church as long as they are in good shape. But the idea of wearing flip flops to actual services kind of makes me feel a bit old fashioned. I remember seeing a picture of a women's college sports team at the White House one time. They had won a championship and was there to meet the President. Half of them, while dressed nice, had flip flops. Those just don't strike me as a respectful and proper footwear for those kind of situations. But, as I said, that's just me.

So how did it go?

muttmeister

I have to admit that the way people dress is one of my pet peeves. Not just for church - everywhere. I guess that is a sign that I'm OLD!
When I go to church I always wear a dress but that is just me; most women don't and that is fine but I think out of respect for yourself and the Lord you should at least come clean without your behind hanging out. I try to rememer that God doesn't care how we're dressed and some of the people that come looking like they just crawled out of a dumpster are probably better Christians than I am but it is hard for me to get my gut feelings to cooperate with my brain.
When I was growing up, back before they invented dirt, people had enough pride in themselves to go looking as good as they could. THat didn't mean they spent a lot of money on their clothes because nobody I knew had money. But people went neat and clean and put on their makeup and combed their hair and never left the house without seeing that they were presentable. Now I see people at places like church and I have to wonder to myself if they don't own a mirror.
I'm pretty independent and don't like to be told what to do or live up to other people's standards and rules but at least I set a few standards for myself.
End of rant. :)

'Chelle

I'm one who sometimes shakes my head at how people will dress for what is supposed to be a special occasion. I do understand that getting kids in to church is more important than what they wear, but isn't it also important to teach them respect for the time, place and people around them. To me, dressing nicely is part of that respect. Is it really that much of a stretch to go from old baggy jeans to a nice pair of slacks? I'm not talking suit and tie here, just a nice clean shirt, and clean semi-dressy pants. At the last funeral I went to there were people there in raggedy looking jeans and t-shirts. Sure, Uncle Jack would have been glad they came, but is it so hard to give him and his family a bit of respect by dressing nicely? Uncle Jack was a green work shirt and pants kind of guy, but for special occasions HE always pulled out the suit. (And these were people with the $$ to be able to have something nice to wear for occasions) Weddings are just as bad. Sure the bride and groom are happy you could come for the special day, but do they really want shots of the reception with someone there in jeans and a Metallica t-shirt? Regular Sunday, I don't think clean jeans and shirt is out of line really. However, the two most important occasions in the Catholic church are Christmas and Easter. To me it's showing respect to the congregation who gathers, the priest, and the occasion itself, for a man to die on the cross for the sins of the world, to put forth a little more effort in looking nice. Will it change anything in society and how people treat each other, probably not. But it shows to me you understand the dignity and esteem of the occasion.

Sometimes to me, it seems that people are less polite to each other, show each other less respect. To me this is just another symptom of that, where people start telling themselves it doesn't really matter what you wear or look like, whatever you throw on is fine.

Hmmmmmmm guess this bothers me more than I thought, done ranting now.

TerryJ2

Muttmeister and 'Chell, I agree. I miss the way people dress up for everything. There's something special and festive and dare I say, "sacred" about dressing nicely for church and restaurant dining.
In addition, I hate gobs of fat oozing out from teenage girls' midsections when the outfits they choose should only be worn by Twiggy. (Does that make me old or what?) And I hate bare-armed men who wear tank tops, whose armpit hair sticks out all over when I'm eating.
I agree, to a point, with-the mentality that you cannot judge a book by its cover, and you should accept people as they are. But when people flaunt their "individuality" in your face to the point of BO and crassness, I WILL judge.
And in regard to Catholic church, I was raised Catholic and my mother had fits if we wore pants to church. Even in the 70s. Her mother (my grandmother) was the exception because she had very bad varicose veins.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I am so glad I am not alone. The thing I guess that struck me is that these same parents well at least my mom when I was growing up ALWAYS wore a dress to church unless it was like negative temps out. My father always wore a suit. Now my step dad the few times I have gone to church with him wore something nice also. Not necesarily a suit but nice (no jeans). So with it having been easter and me joining I just couldn't believe where they were coming from. I know I should have just been happy they were there and I was it just shocked me.

Of course they behaved like children before the service started. Boggles the mind. They are not old enough for it to be dimentia. I don't know what was going on. Ah well it is over and I survived so now they are back in their town I am still in mine and life will go on. I am just glad to see I wasn't the only one in the world that had those thoughts.

Beth

Marguerite

When growing up, dress code was unwritten but very strict. We had to wear our nicest 'smart casual' dress, preferably with a hat and gloves. Best shoes. Stockings or clean white socks (depending on age).

I remember when my friend wore tidy white trousers to evening church and people were scandalised.

Now - we go to an ecumenical, non-denominational church. Because it is right next to the beach, dress is very casual. For us, baptisms are casual almost as a requirement, because it's difficult to walk on the beach in high heels and stockings, and the sea is our baptismal font. (Pacific Ocean - biggest baptismal font in the world!) The person being baptised and all those standing with him/her wears standard swimsuit. Others on the shore stand at the ready with towels - it can be cold. Back inside the church there are hot showers for those who need them while the rest of us have coffee while we wait for them. There is always a bucket of water at the door for people to rinse the sand off their bare feet if they've been in the sea.

People come to our church in summer wearing almost anything. Swimsuits sometimes, although we do ask that people throw something on over the swimsuit, even if it's only a thin shirt. Footwear - I wear thongs (flip-flops) in summer, but I kick them off as soon as I arrive. On Easter Sunday I had to go out the front at church and talk for a few minutes during the service - I didn't worry that I had bare feet, nobody was concerned. But there were still people there who were dressed very neatly, smart casual with stockings and high heels. No hats, though.

But nobody is seen as out of place. We have one old bloke who lives alone and has revolting dress sense - fluorescent pink sandals, red shorts, pink shirt often badly buttoned. Not a problem - we all know it's his Sunday best he's wearing and we're just happy to see him.

After the service but while people are still milling around, a number of people change into swimsuits and go for a swim, then sit and talk on the veranda, or wander back inside (once they've rinsed their feet at the door!).

For us, the focus is far less on what people are wearing. Skimpy, provocative clothing - another matter. I can't remember the last time I saw a girl's bare midriff there, unless it was in a swimsuit (which doesn't count as a problem).

There have been times when people sat in a church meeting with some wearing just swimsuits, but usually only on the hottest days in summer.

Times have changed, clothing requirements in general in so many areas are now much more informal. Other churches around Australia - the dress code is more formal than ours, but still very forgiving.

Marg