Curious...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My own experience in wee difficult child's music class made me wonder, today....how much are those "extras" teachers (art, music, PE, etc) aware of regarding kids with IEP's?

She obviously is not aware that difficult child can't read at all, that he has serious memory issues, and that I was there in place of a para, not because I just wanted to be...

aeroeng

Mom of Three
My experience is that the art and music teachers only know what you directly tell them. I sometimes like to get their e-mail addresses. They usually only get the kids for a few hours a week and focus on their subject.

susiestar

Roll With It
The "specials" teachers do not have a clue. They are expected to follow any IEP's, but most schools have NO mechanism to make sure they are even told which students HAVE IEP's, much less what is IN the IEP's.

At ONE school the specials teachers knew about IEP issues. But only for the 4th and 5th graders. The younger kids had a different sp ed teacher and she was ALL tied up in bureaucratic nonsense and gossip. The only way to hear about any child with a problem from her was to have that child act up and be one of her cronies. The other sp ed teacher made up a simple form stating that this child had an IEP dealing with issues in these areas. Best ways to cope and help child cope are X, Y, and Z. Any questions, the IEP is on file in the office and the sp ed room, or please feel free to contact me. Signed, Sp Ed Teacher.

she DID have parents aware that this was sent out to the other teachers. She also had a line about the note being confidential information to be kept securely filed.

It was incredible the difference in how the kids behaved for the SAME teachers, with just that little one page note.

When the gym teacher realized how many kids were in her class, and how these kids often acted in gym (uncontrollable in a group, in need of extra help due to coordination issues, and generally unhappy) then he had these boys in a gym class all by themselves so that he could address what THEY need and they wouldn't get teased because they were not as good or as confident with the activities. It also cut down on the problems in the regular classes. This teacher even went to the Occupational Therapist (OT) and worked with HER to help the boys!

Think about how much more our kids would get out of a class like that. And how simple, really, it was to see if there was a need. with-o the paper the sp ed teacher sent, ALL the gym teacher knew was this group of boys were very disruptive adn the entire class was tough to handle. Then the "fix" was relatively simple.

I wish more schools did this.

But how many times have you seen an art, music or gym teacher in an IEP meeting??

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ditto to aero's statement. I don't think difficult child 2's band teacher has a clue about his issues... And he's only with her twice a week, so I really don't sweat comments from her at all. I know his playing is lousy. It's really not been high on my priority list!

tiredmommy

Duckie's PE teacher didn't know she has asthma and an inhaler in the nurse's office. Duckie came home one day complaining that she wasn't breathing well in class but the teacher cut her off when she went to ask for a puff from the nurse. He was so upset and apologetic when he heard from the nurse the next day.

Jena

hi

i'm giong to go with-they know what we as parents tell them. it's odd you posted this i wondered the same thing the other day when one of difficult child's "specials" teacher that's what they call them did something.

odd huh..? you would think that everyone shold be on the same page.

lizzie09

lizzie
When my difficult child was in a special school huge efforts fron staff to do up IEPs for every pupil were made every year. We were called in to review it. He signed the goals and programmes and we signed too.

I can honestly say little effort was made afterwards to implement the programmes at al and most simple goals were never attempted.

Sometimes I think Sp teachers sit back a lot and blame non performance on the child. Then you can get the reallly dedicated ones that really enjoy bringing the child along...

Hi Jenna glad to see you back on the board hope all is well with you

Stella

You would think everyone would be singing from the same page but it'srarely the case. Truth is, they're dealing God only knows how many other kids aswell and our difficult child is not their only priority.

I have learned never assume that anyone dealing with difficult child knows anything. The other day at a meeting with difficult child's team, the Occupational Therapist (OT) asked me when I first noticed difficult child's behaviours etc. I couldn't believe she didn't know the background. They had the file with them and I asked the psychiatric to read out the letter I had sent them about difficult child when she was 4 years old (she's now 11). So now, I don't care if I am being repetitive and someone on the team has heard it all before, the chances are there's someone in the room who hasn't and it could be part of the jigsaw theyr'e looking for. If only they would sit down and READ THE ******* FILE!!

So, anyway, I would take it for granted that any teacher or prof dealing with your child only knows what you directly tell them!!!