Cymbalta....good?

Steely

Not me, but I have heard positive things about it. I believe it is similar in chemical make up to Effexor? But I could be wrong.
Let us know how it goes.

Sara PA

Like Effexor, Cymbalta is an SSRI/SNRI combination antidepressant. Sixty mg is the highest recommended dose. It pretty much proved that suicidal ideation can be caused by antidepressants when it was trial for female incontinence and a "higher than expect" number of test subjects developed suicidal ideation. (The "expected" number of women developing suicidal ideation due to incontinence is zero.)

Considering your BiPolar (BP) diagnosis, you probably shouldn't be taking it -- especially at that high a dose -- without a first line mood stabilizer. Antidepressants are not approved for the treatment of bipolar disorder. there are actually cautions against prescribing them for people with bipolar or who have ever had a manic episode.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I can only answer for myself. It has been an effective antidepressant for me ~ the one downside is if I miss a dose I get brain "zaps". More annoying than anything.

ChristieR

My Dr. said that its like a miracle drug. I was just wondering if it has helped anyone because Im hoping for a miracle cure here....I need lots of help with my depression and I have gone on so many things it seems like its never gonna get better.

Steely

Is your dr titrating you up to the 60mg? I hope?

My son took effexor for awhile, after he was stabilized with Lithium, and he did really well on it. We switched him to Paxil for his anxiety, and that worked better for him - but again - his moods were already stable on Lithium. This is an important caveat to taking SSRIs when BiPolar (BP). You cannot be still cycling and add an anti-depressant, without running the risk of the cycling being increased.

ChristieR

Thats really good to know, I am also on prozac 20 mg and have been for 2 months. Yes she started me at 30mg then up to 60 mg after a week. I really hope this works Im tired of being depressed

KTMom91

My friend Lea was on Cymbalta for a while and her thyroid enlarged. She had no thyroid problems before taking Cymbalta.