Daisyface...did you see

DammitJanet

CSI:New York last night by any chance?

If I had your number or email I would have called you about 10 minutes into the show...lol. It was about a young woman who ended up getting killed because of her connection with a group of vampires!

They made reference to Vlad the Impaler and some of the other stuff we talked about on here though not that disorder your daughter was looking up. I would almost swear they had lurked on this board because I had mentioned none of the CSI's had done a show about it...lol. Then what do ya know...one comes out!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
O that's too funny!!!

No I didn't see it...probably better that we didn't! LOL!

That's all I would need is for my daughter to say "See? There really are gangs of vampires out on the streets killing people!"

DammitJanet

Well...actually thats not the way it went down at all...but...maybe you could find the episode online and watch it. Or Im sure it will go to repeat soon enough.

It was actually pretty sad in a way...as are most murders..

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well...actually thats not the way it went down at all...but...maybe you could find the episode online and watch it. Or Im sure it will go to repeat soon enough.

It was actually pretty sad in a way...as are most murders..

Hmmm....

Maybe I will check it out.

Thanks!

Farmwife

Same here, I almost cracked up when they said Vlad the impaler.

Not sure how I feel about watching CSI and thinking of you fine folks, immediately.:surprise:

Marguerite

There was an episode of Bones on Aussie TV the other night, dealing with Renfield Syndrome. The storyline was a rock singer who was about to bring out a new album. His performance "schtick" was that he dressed as a vampire, full make-up and everything, but in reality it was all the publicity, he was otherwise normal. It was something his manager had pushed him towards, to cash in on the Goth generation. Then his album was coming out, just as dead girls were bring found with holes in their necks and the name of the album painted in blood on their exsanguinated bodies.

And in the end it turns out that the murders were committed by a very disturbed fan who had been manipulated by the manager. All perfectly rational. Not Renfield's at all in any way, because the murderer actually was schizophrenic in a psychotic state. But the program really explored Renfield Syndrome in the profiling.

It was very interesting. And also probably not ideal viewing for your daughter!

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
Too funny - I missed the show but when I saw the ad for it, I immediately thought of Janet and Daisyface. ;) It was just too wild a coincidence that you guys were talking what, last week (?), about never having seen anything about this particular behavior on the crime shows and voila... there it was.

DammitJanet

Im telling ya Sue...they peruse our forums! Ever notice how often they have shows about kids with disabilities who take medications that sound like what ours take. One last week or so took something called Depaquel...lol. I just died laughing at that one.

slsh

member since 1999
Maybe we should get paid writer's fees??? :rofl: I always said this life was too bizarre to be anything other than fiction.

Jody

I watched a Bones episode last night where the guy that was murdered by his brother was able to go out and get horn implants and had actually been born with a tail at birth. It was by far the strangest Bones I had seen and a lot of them are pretty weird. No cable right now so my tv show's are very limited. I did get a good laugh though and that was much needed. I didn't even know you could get horn implants. Who would?

DammitJanet

Good lord...horns? I'll be! Never thought of that. Maybe I should have had those done for my son when he was a toddler. He was such a little devil! It would have been applicable in his teens too! (get the pun...:) )

Marguerite

One last week or so took something called Depaquel...lol. I just died laughing at that one.

It would be a deliberate error, Janet. They can't use the real name of a drug because the writers or network could get sued by the drug company for bad publicity. They can use the chemical name, but not the commercial name. So they invent a fake commercial name to get around it, choosing one that sounds enough like the real one for people to get the idea, but not enough like it for them to get sued.

I didn't even know you could get horn implants

Yep. You can get just about anything.
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Horn_Implant

I remember seeing Enigma, I think it might have been on an episode of Ripley's.

As for being born with a tail - there are all sorts of things it could possible be, including a deformation of the sacrum which I suspect could have been associated with spina bifida at some level. Pilonidal sinus at least, surely.

If you want to see something really weird, look up teratoma. Then you will see that anything we can do to our bodies pales into insignificance, compared to what nature can throw at us.

Marg

DammitJanet

Marg..I know it was a deliberate use of the medication name. Normally they use long generic sounding names that sound suspiciously like say...prozac or paxil or lamictal or some other drug but this episode with the Depaquel was just such a combo of depakote and seroquel that it made me laugh. Plus it was for the treatment of bipolar disorder!

And yes, I am not dumb enough to not know that people cannot have all sorts of things implanted. I do post here quite a bit tongue in cheek.

Marguerite

Sorry. I'm a bit thick this morning!

But it does make me think (on a tangent) - why don't drug companies make combinations of commonly-used drugs? In the same way that we can get paracetamol with codeine included (and the name also combined to indicate what is in it), what would be some of the drug combinations you think we might see?

About the horn implants - of course it's purely frivolous, but the medicine that allows it has also made more practical therapeutic options possible, such as the cochlear implant. There was a bit on Aussie TV last night showing Aussie inventions, and they flashed up a little boy with a cochlear implant, you could see the bit that attaches to the side of his head. Having one of these could prove interesting when going through an airport metal detector.

Mind you, implanted horns would also prove interesting to airport security...

Now, if they're REALLY serious about implanting horns, then they should get pieces of living bone implanted there, so they would keep growing. Real horns, not metal buds implanted under the skin.
The way genetic engineering is going, we'll have the capability for this in the next ten years.

Marg