Darn Hives

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This poison ivy / poison oak or whatever it is thing is really becoming a burr under my fanny fast.

The only thing I've found to stop the itching is to scrub with hot water / drying antibacterial soap, and then pouring alcohol over it. That last one was out of desperation, I admit. But I discovered as a child that alcohol takes the itch out of mosquito bites, so I figured why not try it.

Now keep in mind, I take zyrtec everyday, anyway. I can't take benedryl because I'm allergic to the darn stuff.

I *thought* I had this latest bout licked using the above method. But I've noticed something in the past 2 days. If I want more hives.......all I seem to have to do is walk outside. :groan: Now this could be just because my system is already fired up. But it has me wondering if it isn't the poison ivy / oak that is the culprit. I know I didn't walk through any. I know neither dog has done so. (we got rid of what they could get to)

With the first bout (on my legs) I had to cover them with bandaides because sitting down sweating would nearly send me right over the edge it made it itch so bad. The bandaides kept contact with the hives down and helped with that...........until I had a reaction to the bandaide (I didn't realize I'd used one with laytex). So the next time I made sure no laytex......and had a reaction to the darn adhesive. omg :imok:

Soooo, no more bandaides. Now I'm stuck with the soap/water/alcohol routine. But I keep popping up with new "spots", although these are teeny compared to the original areas....they still itch.

Now......maybe there is another weed out there that is either the cause or compounding it. (heaven knows I have one heckova variety of the darn things)

Regardless, this allergy thing has got to stop because I'm the only one to care for my yard. I'm dreading the next mowing session.........and darn it I had fun mowing it last time.

pepperidge

When I had poison ivy really bad, the only thing that stopped it was a cortosteriod (sp?) shot and a pack of pills (decreasing dosage for about a week). In about a day or two there was dramatic improvement. And I tried the alcohol trick too.
I am just so miserable when I have gotten poison ivy that the pills were the only thing that made a significant difference. Any doctor should be able to give them to you.

InsaneCdn

Got any cheesecloth in the house? You can wrap that around your legs instead of using bandages... no adhesive (you can use safety pins, for example). Just creating that "space" around the hives, helps. Wrap before you go outside, too - keeps anything in the air from getting directly on that skin. You'll just end up looking like a Mummy.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Do you have a walk in clinic nearby? They will probably give you the cortisone tabs which should clear it up pronto.

I was never allergic to poison ivy or oak until I moved to ct 18 years ago. Now I get it every spring and I hate it.

If you're not sure what it is, why not go get it checked out...just for the itch relief alone! Feel better.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa, this is silly, but it worked for a friend of mine... She had bought some hydrocortisone spray for her dog's hot spots... Used it on her hives (she's allergic to everything including the kitchen sink)... And it helped. It's supposed to be for dogs, but...

TerryJ2

Ewww, that's awful. I feel for you. (And with-my history, sometimes I feel like you.)
All I can say is wear long sleeves, long pants and gloves when you work in the yard.
Sigh.

S

Signorina

HD - difficult child got systemic poison ivy once and it was HORRIFIC. It started on his heel and we thought it was a cut - about a week later his heel was getting red and swollen so we went to the dr on a Friday. Doctor assumed infection and put him on Levaquin and did cultures. By Monday, it was the size of a tennis ball, purple and yellow with the skin splitting due to the swelling and creeping red upward (slightly hot) and we went back to the dr. When the cultures were clear and the levaquin didn't help - and it was progressing up his leg (at this point he was on crutches) - they started to think PARASITE. (GROSS) And we were on the way to the hospital.

Fortunately, his GP had a Derm meet us before he went to the ER. Guess what? It was poison ivy and the week & 1/2 delay in dxing it meant it was systemic and by then the rash was traveling up his leg and trunk. He was put on an RX antihistamine, got a steroid shot plus a huge dose of steroids...tapering off over 2 weeks (4 a day for 2 days, 3 a day for 3 days, etc) and he got a lot better. Even so - he had a rebound breakout about 2 days after he finished the steroids and ended up in the ER with IV antihistamines and a steroid shot. He had rebound. itchy flareups for a year afterwards.

So - get thee to a doctor. No joke. And allowing it to progress means that you could have a worse reaction next time.

I could show you pictures of his heel and you would never believe it was poison ivy! It was disgusting. And not rash like at all. (though the traveling red rash is what lead to the diagnosis)

DammitJanet

I agree with first going to get the topical cortisone cream or spray and then if it isnt clearing up in a day, then hitting a doctor for a course of cortisone oral. The boys have had to take the tablets many times since we live in a wooded area. Thankfully Tony isnt allergic and it appears Jamie has outgrown his allergy considering the areas he has to run through all the time.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's finally getting better. *knocks on wood*

I'm not sure these itty bitty teeny ones are the same thing. They seem to stay itty bitty. But then they don't seem to be as itchy. Went out into the yard yesterday with the girls and no new areas........I'll just have to be super careful when I mow ect and do it early early morning so I can wear jeans and long sleeves.