Darn pop-ups....

klmno

I have pop-up blocker on and have used a good (albeit free) adware-removal software to scan my computer twice. It removed a lot. But, I'm still getting "windows" of ads popping up every couple of minutes. Does anyone else know what else I can do? I checked the settings for the internet and found that the adware had snuck in and made some sites "allowed" where they shouldn't be- I deleted those, so now I'm at a loss...

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm an old school person who still uses Netscape. (Sorry...throw stones at me but I REFUSE IE.) It has a built in pop up blocker so I don't get any. Not one.

There should be a setting in your browser that allows you to block pop ups. If you have that checked and it's not doing it's job...that's why I'm with Netscape. ;)

Abbey

skeeter

If you are getting these every couple of minutes WITH the pop up blocker on - you've got a worm or trojan.

Go to Start / Run / and type msconfig into the window. This will show you everything that is currently running "in the background" of your computer. If you see things you do NOT recognize, do a google search on them to try and figure out what they are.

Hopefully you can figure out what's happening easily............................

mom_in_training

Sounds like a Trojan. I have no clue as to what Anti-Virus you use but regardless keep it up to date. To aid in ridding of this you can go get a 30 day free trial of Kaspersky 2009 Once downloaded do an update on it and then a full scan. Oh and you should disble or get rid of yor current Anti-Virus if you choose to get the 30 day Kaspersky free trial. Another really good Anti-Virus is nod32. You can also get a free 30 day of this one as well. Good advice Skeeter, Make sure to uncheck suspicious things in startup as well, After you uncheck click Apply then Ok. I just cleaned out a friends computer that was full of viruses. No guaranty that that will stop the virus though.

donna723

If you have a lot of adware and spyware, you need to run your removal software at least once a week if not more. A lot of them will come right back in so you hve to keep doing it. And make sure you keep up with all the updates.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
When I had this I had a nasty little trojan. Norton took care of it and have had no more problems. (knocks on wood)

I hope you solve your problem. And thanks for reminding me to run my Adaware program.

Hugs