Daughter ran away from facility

MommaMia

She ran away, was missing in the dark for four hours. She also ran away last night, which no one told us about until today. My husband and I thought we were in a living hell. State police found her, she is fine. We must have aged 40 years.
She is not allowed back in the facility. I am at a loss now. In shock, angry, happy she is fine all at the same time. Where do we even go from here? ODD is a killer for families.

C

Confused

Oh my Im so sorry -hugs-. Thats not easy to have to go thru and I cant even imagine having to. The facility didnt have better security? Maybe look for another one with better lock downs and such. So she is with you now? How is she? Has she talked to you all yet? ODD is horrible and my son is only 7, so your daughter is already going though a lot plus all of her other issues. Hopefully she will talk to you all and you can get her to understand a facility is the best place for her right now because you love her so much and want her better.

BusynMember

ODD is not a diagnosis most of us here embrace as a real diagnosis...more like a placeholder meaning "We don't know why she is defiant." It is usually a symptom of a bigger disorder.

However, at this point, your main problem is drug abuse. Have you ever contacted social services? They can sometimes be very helpful and offer many support services free of cost. It is hard to keep children safe if they are determined not to listen to us and to sneak out at night. Trust me, I know this first hand from my own daughter.

Have you ever considered a boarding school that helps troubled teens? I don't know your monetary situation...we could never have afforded it, but many parents who can do use this. Seems to have some good results.

I am so sorry for your hurting mommy heart. I hope something else comes along if none of my suggestions helped you, although I do hope they did...hugs!!!

I agree with you 100% - whether you call ODD a diagnosis or you are referring to the many symptoms people refer to as ODD - it is a killer for families. Hugs.

Sent from my iPhone using ConductDisorders

I agree with that too. With us, that's where we started and now have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) also. Whatever you call them, it's very hard...:(

Sent from my iPhone using ConductDisorders

TerryJ2

I am sending youthful, peaceful hugs so you can regain your center.
Please let us know where she is. I assume that if she is using drugs, she is with other users. So she has a roof over her head. Other than that it looks bad, from my point of view. :(
I know that your heart is breaking.
I would also be angry with the facility. It isn't a lockdown place?