Day Five...Cold Turkey

DDD

I am NOT a happy camper...but...I am back on my way to being a non-smoker again. Yikes.Twelve years with no cigarettes. Five months smoking. Now I am just as antsy as I was in1998. Hmmmmm......I was hoping it would be easier.So if I offend anyone in the family try to cut me a break until I get past lusting after just onequick inhale. DDD

DDD

Thanks for thinking of me Witz. I did have an Rx for Chantix but it was almost $170. It's notworth that to me. I have samples of Wellbutrin but...I would prefer to tough it out sucking mints during the day and sucking Cutty at night for a couple of weeks. My behavioral patterns have returned to those of a smoker so now I have to keep myself busy so I don't lust after apatio chair with an ashtray next to it.If I can't do it on my own. I'll bite the $$ bullet. Really, I will. DDD

Estherfromjerusalem

DDD, with all my heart I wish you the strength to do this. Goodness, twelve years is a long time.

I also did cold turkey, almost three weeks ago, after yet another angioplasty and stent. I am finding it unbelievably hard, and I am in a very bad mood most of the time.

My cardiologist said to me that after two days, the nicotine is out of the system, and it is not the physical addiction to the nicotine, but it is in the mind. I'm not sure she's right, but that's what she said.

I try to use logic and speak to myself, that I want to live to see my greatgrandchild (expected in about four months), and I have had too many blockages of 90% and over, and I just can't push my luck any more. But it is soooo hard.

Good luck to you -- I'm sure you can do it. If you did it once, you can do it again. I will also do it. At least I have more cash money in my wallet than I used to!!

Love, Esther

witzend

From the NIH:

"Nicotine is a short-acting drug that is eliminated from the body relatively quickly (i.e., within a day or so). However, the effects of acute nicotine withdrawal can be felt for as much as two weeks or more. In addition, the byproducts of nicotine can be detected in the blood for up to a month after you stop smoking. This is only of concern if you are in a situation where someone else might want to test you for the presence of nicotine or nicotine byproducts in your system."

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

Way To Go!!!! And you too Esther!!!! :D

I have tried cold turkey, and it's far from pretty. Seriously. I turn into a completely different personality, and it's not a nice person by a long shot.

The medical community has recognized there a few ppl which kicking the habit is not really such a great idea despite the health risks due to the behavior/personality effects on the person. That with this minority, for whatever reason, smoking is like a calming medication (even though it is a stimulant). For these ppl it is not recommended they quit, but cut back on the amount they smoke as far as possible. This is a new finding that has come up with so many ppl trying to kick the habit in recent years.

husband quit for 6 mos and I've got to say that every day of that was as if he'd just went cold turkey. This was WITH the welbutrin in a fairly high dose. doctor had to keep increasing it. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and handed him a pack of smokes. It was that or file for divorce. Seriously.

I think husband is one of those ppl who will never be able to quit completely.........at least unless he wants to live life as a hermit because he's so vicious that no one can stand to be within 1000 yards of him.:tongue:

Chantix helped me tons. I'm going to try it again when I'm finished with school. I really hope it helps. Cuz when I attempt to quit, I'm not much better than husband.

DDD

Thanks everyone. I'm no fun to be around...just like you, Esther...but I know from experience
that I can do it. Chances are it will be two weeks to a month before I get over the totally antsy feelings. Coincidentally I have had two unexpected traumas to cope with which is difficult with-o my cigarettes. My eldest grandson's funeral has been arranged for the second week in June. As I posted in the WC it is not unexpected but still traumatic. This week the Dermatologist called to tell me one of the biopsies is positive again..so..I'll have to be a "big girl", lol, and face what I have to face sans the calming effects of nicotene. Bummer. Whine. :redface:
Anyway, it is nice knowing that you guys care. DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I.Am.So.Proud.of.YOU!

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss my smokes so I understand the hell you are going through right now.

You ROCK, D3 :bravo:

Suz

TerryJ2

Congrats so far, DDD.
I know what you mean about the patio chair and ashtray. When my little sister quit, she had to quit talking on the phone, LOL! That was her biggest temptation to light up. Her second strongest temptation came when she went into bars with-friends. That habit was easier to kick.
Stay strong.

DammitJanet

Congrats DDD. So far the wellbutrin hasnt done a thing for me but then again...I cant remember to take the darn things like I am supposed to!

Im not used to taking AM medications.

I think I am going to try Chantix again...or maybe not...maybe try cold turkey too.

Tony is attempting to quit chewing tobacco too and he swears if he doesnt chew anymore tobacco all this week he is refusing to buy me any cigarettes this week. GULP! With Cory coming home, if both of us are off tobacco I foresee bad things happening...lmao.

DDD

Janet, just the mere threat that my supply would be cut off would drive me into hoarding mode.I am not a total control freak, lol, but heaven help anyone who tries to control me. LOLActually, and without exaggeration, cigarettes are the only real trigger for that strong emotional reaction. Deprive me of food, scotch, etc. etc. and I'll wait it out. Even suggest that I won't be able to have a pack of weeds handy and I actually have an anxiety attack. It has to be ME, MYSELF and I that "chooses" to smoke or not smoke...hour to hour at this stageand soon (I hope) day to day and then week to week etc.You'll be successful when you are ready. I'm hoping I'm ready, lol. so far so good but be thankful you live a State or two away because I'm like a festering powderkeg! DDD

DammitJanet

Ya know what really kills me.

If everyone had just cleaned out my house and got rid of my ashtrays, no more cigarette butts in the house, no more smoke smell, nothing. Then didnt even tell me I had ever smoked at all when I came out of my coma...I probably wouldnt have ever started back up. It may have taken me months to even remember I smoked!!!!

But I came home to ashtrays filled with butts, empty packs and cartons all over the house, lighters everywhere. And everyone kept telling me...oh you havent smoked in X many days, X many weeks now...you dont need to start back again.

The more they talked about it, the more I wanted to go out and smoke again!!!

Heck...my memories were all messed up. I probably wouldnt have remembered for six months!

trinityroyal

DDD, how are you doing on Day 7? I totally understand that feeling like your skin doesn`t fit and you want to crawl out of it. AND the need to be completely in control of the process, for it to be your choice and no one else`s.

Wishing you all the best. I`m pulling for you. You too, Esther!

Trinity

DDD

Trinity.........are you a mind reader????????You got it! DDDThanks for the support. I'm hangin in there. Just feel lucky you aren't near by, lol.