DD1 is a *Monet* and I've had my nose right up against her.

keista

So we had the psychiatric evaluation today and my brain is spinning into jello. I'm speechless, I'm flabbergasted, I'm .........

psychiatric saw DEFINITE Spectrum *traits* Yes, she is absolutely NOT textbook, but she's not textbook for ANYTHING. Yes, definite co-morbidity with anxiety/mood disorders, BUT LOTS of spectrum *traits*

And I knew for a fact that DD1 has some sensory issues, but psychiatric said she was EXTREMELY sensory. OMG! And here I am thinking that I am so in tune and aware of my kids! Right now I feel like I just fell off a turnip truck! I've been quite oblivious.

The traits were too vague for psychiatric to say if she was on the spectrum for sure. She's got to go over the evaluations and score them. Will take about a week.

The good news is, that there isn't much that I would do different at home. At school, I will be able to get her some more supports. (I hope) The better news is that I have already begun looking at her behavior differently. This does nothing for her specifically, but certainly reduces MY frustration levels, making me more patient. :)

So, yeah, WOW.

InsaneCdn

This does nothing for her specifically, but certainly reduces MY frustration levels, making me more patient.
... which then reduces HER stress levels, which then... does LOTS for both of you.

psychiatrists and such don't "get" it when we're happy to have documented problems...
But OH it is good to get some parameters and some ammo to fire away at schools and such.

buddy

I hear that! It makes a huge difference when we have someone back up that they are not just being pains-in-the-patootie. Will be interesting to hear what you find out. Glad you got some info! That's great.

:bigsmile:i would very much like for YOUR daughter to meet MY daughter...i'll bet they are secretly long lost twins or something.

and my patience level is probably the equivalent to your patience level on some days. you and i can raise a glass to "who knows".

i hope you get your answers---i'm still waiting on ours.

L

Liahona

This reminds me of difficult child 1 getting his diagnosis. Completely floored me. Here I was with 3 other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) people in the house. I thought I knew Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and could spot it. Not even when it was right under my nose.

Just couldn't because of the co-morbid stuff.

keista

Insane, you got that right! Fortunately, this one is NOT psychiatrist, just a psychiatric, and she really does get it. I was even happier to see that her credentials state "licensed SCHOOL Psychologist" IOW her opinion SHOULD carry more weight with our school. (Again, I hope)

Confuzzled, I often think that when I read your difficult child description :)

Buddy, I so can't wait to see this report. Especially the sensory portion. I filled out this 10 page questionnaire for sensory stuff today and the light-bulb just kept going on over my head! Seriously mind boggling!

I just got back from filling in the therapist. She's not 100% convinced yet either, but does see the possibilities. She kept asking why the school didn't pick up on it during her evaluation for the gifted program. Well, schools don't go LOOKING for problems!

keista

this reminds me of difficult child 1 getting his diagnosis. Completely floored me. Here i was with 3 other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) people in the house. I thought i knew Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and could spot it. Not even when it was right under my nose.

Just couldn't because of the co-morbid stuff.
exactly!