Dear Teacher Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

It's that time of year again! While most of our kids have IEPs, it is not unusual for the teachers to be given the whole stack of IEPs for their classroom just a few days prior to school starting. A "Dear Teacher" note can draw his/her attention to any critical issues (food allergies, major triggers, the existence of a BIP). Keep it short so they can read it quickly and not be tempted to stick it in their inbox to read later.

With older kids, remember that they may change classes and you will need to give a note to each teacher.

This year for my 8th grader, I'm making postcards that just hit the highlights and giving them to all the teachers as well as giving him a stack so he can hand them to subs, etc.

I hope we all have the best school year possible!

JJJ

My sample note to Eeyore's teachers (8th grade, Aspergers, 1/2 sped room 1/2 mainstreamed)

My son Eeyore will be in your class this year. Eeyore has an IEP and I wanted to make you aware of a few critical areas:

*He cannot have gluten at all (no wheat, no barley, no rye, no oats)
*He should avoid all artificial ingredients (he can tolerate a small amount, but no artifical sour flavors).

*He thrives in structure and routine.

*He should be allowed to go see Ms. E, Mr. R or Ms. P immediately upon request as going to his 'safe people' works very well for him.

*Last year, he banged his head (accidently) a couple of times per quarter. He only reports it about half of the time. If you notice him acting loopy or his eyes are dialated, please send him to the nurse to be checked.

*Eeyore has set a personal goal of making honor roll this quarter. When he chooses a goal like this and gets positive reinforcement that adults believe he can do it, he succeeds!

*Eeyore has glasses that should be worn when doing academic work.

*I can be reached at 555-555-5555 or [email protected] for any questions.

Thanks,

JJJ________________________________________________

KTMom91

I love it! I wish all teachers would have something like this available for their subs. I 'd rather know what's going on than have to guess and upset someone unintentionally.

tiredmommy

Great note! Very succint... and I especially love that you added such a positive personal goal. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We started making a 5x8 card for K last year in a bright cardstock paper. We put her picture on it and under that her diagnosis then below her positive traits. On the back a short list of the most important accommodations. We give these to every one involved with her and a few extra to her main teacher for the subs.
Everyone has said how much they love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.