Death

Malika

I've never heard of a body being "viewed" in Britain, either at a funeral home or at a funeral. Many years ago, in poorer or traditional communities, the body was viewed at home, just as it still is in rural France today. Yesterday the church bell (next to my house) tolled slowly several times, which must have been in memory of the man who died.
I have not been to many funerals. The first one I went to was my grandmother's and I remember being surprised that no-one talked about Grandma at the reception - the talk over the sherry and sandwiches at my grandparents' house, after the funeral, was of golf (they were passionate golfers) and the weather. Well, I cannot remember what the variety of small talk was about but you get the drift. I remember that one of my grandparents' oldest and closest friends suddenly stopped as he was talking and turned to look out of the window, tears in his eyes. He controlled himself and went on with his polite conversation-making. Very British middle class.
I thought it was odd. I loved my grandmother and wanted to talk about her and share memories of her, grieve.