Decision in the Megan-Meier cyberbullying case

tinamarie1

I didn't expect her to get any extreme punishment (although I would have liked to have seen that), but I surely didn't think she would get aquitted. Gahhh!

TerryJ2

Sigh.
Well, we need new laws with-all this cyber stuff, and they will be written. And then the laws have to be interpreted by various cases like this.
So sad.

DammitJanet

There is a new case I heard about in the last couple of days and I dont know if it is local or national but a parent put a 13 (?) year old girl up on craigslist pretending the girl was older and said she was the girl (I think) and that she was soliciting. Something like that.

Anyway...she did it because this girl was teasing her daughter or wouldnt be friends with her daughter. Some really stupid reason.

Really stupid move because you have to validate your account now on craigslist to post anything. I mean give your email address and have them phone your telephone to give you a code. Kinda hard to hide from that.

klmno

I saw that, too, Janet. That was way too far out there, in my humble opinion. I don't know what they can charge that woman with but she should get something. Trying to pimp a kid or something- surely there are laws against that.

As far as the suicide case. the last I heard, the first judgement was overtuned but they weren't sure if other charges could be brought in the future or not. Did I miss something on this? I don't see why they can't charge her with harrassment if nothing else. There's enough evidence to prove that, I would think. But then I'm not sure what the initial charges were written up as.

Lothlorien

Unfortunately, because there aren't any specific laws on this type of stuff, the thing they charged her for was for violating the terms of service on Myspace, which really isn't a punishible-by-law type of offense. What a shame this girl, Megan will become the namesake for any new laws that come of this, because Megan and her family won't get justice.

klmno

Well, Loth, if that's all they can get her for, that's nothing. It's parents like these moms that undo a lot of credibility for families that we warrior moms work for in Department of Juvenile Justice and family courts and sd's, in my humble opinion.

BusynMember

There has to be laws. This can't go on. Too many kids are hurt. Sometimes kids put pictures of the child on a MySpace page and superimpose the body nakedly. Somehow that seems illegal to me but nobody has been jailed. I hope the lawmakers catch up with the new technology and the new sick ways of bullying kids (and adults too).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
ARRRRGGGHHH!

If I repeatedly called a child and harassed them it would fall under telecommunications harassment. Why doesn't this?