decision made :)

H

HaoZi

I've rented from Budget using a Mastercard debit card. They'll all accept a debit so long as it has a V or MC logo on it. Also if you reserve the smallest car, they usually run out of those and you get a free upgrade. I reserved the smallest one possible and got upgraded all the way to a Mercury Milan for free (just get in the longest line!).

F

Frazzledmom

I love the train. Is there a way you could afford business class? Much more room and usually a tiny bit speedier. Good, good luck.

Jena

hi, just booked it. leaving jan.8th out of jfk and into chicago, than we'll stay overnight there to break trip up for her and leave next day to fly to oregon. it was expensive like 900 so we told exh he's gotta pay something towards it.

also looked into rentals for the mos. their like 400 for the month that's if we're there that short time frame. we haven't tackled that yet.

so that's it, we're done.

H

HaoZi

If the area has good public transit, hold off on a rental unless you determine you have to have it. Good luck and a safe trip to you both. If it were possible I'd see about driving up to Chicago while you're there if you had time and wanted company, since it's only 3-4 hours from here, but no way we could do it.

Jena

we're only in chicago for a handful of hours, def. on return trip when she'll be better :) GOD willing! i figured it'll be good for her to sleep late, lick some peanut butter and relax till the 4 hr flight into oregon

DammitJanet

Who are using that is 900 bucks? You couldnt get a cheaper flight using one of the cheaper airlines like southwest? They even have free bags. I agree also to waiting to see what you need on the rental car. If public transportation is really good, you might not need it. Im gonna be honest, I hope you can get the Ronald McDonald house but if you cant, Motel 6 or Super 8 are just dandy. Might not have every channel under the sun but they are clean and work for sleeping. I cant afford fancy hotels. All I can afford is cheap. I have stayed a few times at Comfort Inn because my daughter in law got me comped and I swear I didnt notice the difference except I had inside hallways. That didnt make enough difference to me to pay that much more...lol.

B

Bunny

Good luck with the flight, Jena. I think that flying is a better choice than driving all that way. And as for your X threatening to call CPA, would he rather that you do nothing for her and allow her health to deterioate even more than it already has? He's being a selfish son of a you know what and it's disgusting. I truly hope thet are able to help her.

Pam

LittleDudesMom

Jena,

can you change the airline tickets? I found several nonstop flights (out of jfk) in the $300's (318.00) and a number of one stop flights for 297. Taking a 6 hour nonstop flight would seem to get all the anxiety and fear out of the way in one fell swoop. She wouldn't have to be worrying overnight about the next leg.

I am glad to hear though, that you have decided to fly rather than drive.

I hope you are able to work out something for/with easy child. I think, were it me, I would be taking her with me. She has some issues of her own and leaving her alone for that length of time would be a little disconcerting for me......

All the best thoughts and prayers are with you and the family as you begin this treatment.

Sharon

see if this will help with the transportation...

www DOT angelflightne DOT org
(i wasnt sure if i could post an actual link, take out the DOTs and do a normal web address)

certainly worth one more phone call.

graceupongrace

Jena,

Glad things are lining up, although I'm sorry you have to do this. I share Sharon's concern about difficult child getting anxious regarding the second leg of the flight -- and not just the flight, but the hospitalization. If there's any chance she'd resist getting back on the plane in Chicago, it might be better to go for the nonstop. It would be awful to get stuck in Chicago with difficult child rebelling.

Gentle hugs.

DammitJanet

Has difficult child ever been on a plane? If not, she may be extremely excited to fly. Its actually quite fun. Bring a portable DVD player or a laptop to play DVD's. Head phones of course. I think you can still bring snacks on board. Check. I think they serve drinks on the flights. They always did when I flew. Talk to the people who are arranging seating and tell them your problem and try to get the first seats behind the bulkhead. You will have the most room. There will be no seats in front of you. Just the wall to the bathrooms. Also try to board first.

I remember when I had to fly my senile grandmother from FL to SC. We had a layover in Charlotte. At that point my grandmother decided I was evil incarnate and was trying to tell everyone I was kidnapping her. She didnt know who I was...sigh. And ugh. I didnt have a thing to prove who I was to her or even anything to give me permission to take her a darned place. I was just doing this as a favor for my mom who didnt fly.

Well, thankfully the flight attendants were very understanding and the new plane had arrived shortly before she got too agitated. This one very handsome young man came up to her and "saved" her from evil old me and took her to sit in a private room...lol. The plane. My grandmother would follow any man in pants anywhere. Wench.

Josie

I think Jet Blue is especially fun for kids. Everyone has their own TV and can watch what they want. There are movies available for purchase. There is a map that shows where the plane is and the altitude and speed it is flying. They serve free drinks and snacks. You can bring your own food. Because of food allergies, I always bring my own food and no one on the plane has even asked about it.

The only problem with bringing food is getting through security. I would get the individual sized peanut butter and make sure it is under the amount for liquid. I'm not sure I would call peanut butter a liquid, but I have found their definition is sometimes different than mine. Sometimes they will accept my explanation of food allergies and why I need it, but not always. It depends on who you get. Your medical reason is probably an even tougher sell than mine to most people, so I wouldn't take any chances on relying on that. It might be a good idea to have a doctor's note, but no one has ever asked for mine.

Jena

you guys are great, thanks. just came in quick and saw all these responses. support here really is huge. can't thank any of you enough.

now as far as the flight goes, i'm bringing her to the dr prior to, to see if we need a bag for hydration. we are telling airline about her condition, i'm not sure why or what they can do lol yet makes me feel better. it feels like the responsible thing to do. :)

snacks? janet your soo cute i'm sorry i have such a sick sense of humor i'm like hmmm difficult child doesnt' eat snacks if she did life would be great!! :) yet i knew what you meant and yea i'll be bringing a thing of peanut butter on plane and spoon if she'll lick it infront of ppl. seroquel in hand for her, xanax for me. we're all medication up. im bringing that for me incase my legs kick up on plane. it's been a rough two weeks.

stupid doctor can't fit me in prior for mri before i go. maybe it's better i dont' get an ms diagnosis before i jump on planes to head cross country :)

sharon as far as easy child goes i'm getting her some herbal stuff to take while gone we'll try it out this weekned. the lexapro didnt' work made her really sick. if i bring her she'll make me miserable, and difficult child and we need to be focused on beating this, easy child will have to find her way right now. husband and i will sit down have long talk with her, her and i will skype each night. yea i'm worried yet there are two of them one of me and she's almost 18 now and if she says she wont' go she wont' go. so i'm alerting family and stuff, my brother will drive out on weekend to see her or take her to my mom's etc. i gotta trust it'll be ok, i can't be all those miles away panicking i wont' be any good there for difficult child or myself.

as far as the flight goes we went with expedia. i think breaking in chicago makes sense for her and i both. they got us a great airport hotel. she'll be hydrated prior to and if she licks her peanut butter she'll be able to take a walk thru town with me.

DammitJanet

Ok...she will eat the peanut butter. Would she stick her finger in and maybe lick candy powder? Those likem sticks? Lollypops? How bout poprocks? Oh...will she chew gum? Chewing gum when taking off and descending is a really good idea. Heck...if she will just lick something, sugared koolaid is good! Stick a small amount in a tiny plastic container...make it grape or orange or red...not white!!!! LOL. I think I would go for the Lickem sticks. Pre packaged. That isnt actually eating but its just a sugary something. Maybe you could start it and she would want to try it. I love them. They are like pixie sticks.

Will she eat ice? Like a slushy? I think they sell them in airports. I think you could get one of the fruity ones to take on the plane with you. Please please call the airline and talk to them about seating. You need the best seating you can get and that would be the first row in general. No one in front of you to push back into your space. If you explain the fact that you are traveling with a very sick child, I am sure they will do their best to help you out.

pepperidge

Jena,

I would be careful what you tell the airlines. If they think your daughter is at high risk of creating a disturbance or having a medical emergency I don't know what they would say. I would just tell them your daughter is a bit squirrely and ask if you can have the bulkhead seats. You might want to ask for a wheelchair if you don't want her walking long distances. Then you can preboard. If she likes videos or movies that has kept my very squirrely children behaved for many hours on airplanes. A letter from your doctor in your backpocket in case you need it might be wise. But I wouldn't advertise things ahead of time.
P.

Jena

the guy at expedia told us we should inform them, a wheelchair is an excellent idea thank you. i wouldnt' of thought of that. she'll do great, we'll pack her art stuff, i'm bringing my easy child and movies to play in it. 2 hours will fly by, than the break in chicago will work. than the 4 hour one will be a bit challenging yet we'll make it work it has to happen.

i'm glad i have a week home before i go. gotta tie up some loose ends. husband is nervous about house, easy child, etc. so i gotta write them lists and notes about what it is i do here lol. their clueless. him and i are giong to try to go to dinner next week.

all of a sudden he's texting this morning your awesome, amazing i love you. maybe this break will be good for our marriage lol. who knows. we sat up last night making sandwiches in kitchen till 3 a.m. and talking which was cool that's the us we used to be. i'll miss the puppy, he'll be so big once i return. ofcourse easy child and my other kids. yet 60 days to make her better in a lifetime is just a drop in the bucket

DammitJanet

Well its not like she is bleeding to death from an amputated limb. I would say she has medical disorder and is going to a treatment center in OR but that she is medically fragile. I have seen airlines transport patients on gurneys before. You may want to find out if you can give her xanax for the 4 hour leg.

Jena

i'm the xanax one janet lol and legs. it's the same old, kicked up on xmas day pain in legs, knees, joints all over, blurred vision walking into walls all my fun junk. i'll pop half 2.5 once i get on the plane. the two hour will be easy i'm thinking. the 4 hr not so good. she'll take a little seroquel before she goes on. she's excited about the flite yet doesn't want to go to hospital. such is life. she'll be all mixed up with emotions the next week coming till we get there adjust and settle into. i'm just hoping she's ready to get better.

you know how it goes it won't help till she's ready for it. let's hope this does it. after this i'm out of ideas and i'll be ready to bring on a nutrionist and go liquid forever with-her. there's a hospital right across street for me too just incase my **** kicks up which it won't more than it has.

the ppl there are very nice, the director has called me several times today already. i'm cancelling home tutoring for this week coming i have too much to do and i'm not going to be bogged down by ppl in and out all week. that would be crazy. they have an educational piece there for her 3 hrs a day she'll work at her school junk inbetween all of us working with-her with food. husband said to me you won't be alone now. when you get frustrated and overwhelemd you can say i gotta walk away go outside get a breather which is true.

we'll have a time difference he said just call me whenever you need to if you gotta vent. the place we're staying at there is no tv in our room which bites, just a general family room there. so ill bring the easy child and alot of movies and hopefully they'll have wifi so it'll work and i can log in and watch shows on line with-her at nite.