deep pressure brushing technique...explain please?

I have a question...

For those of you who have done the deep pressure technique for kids who have sensory inegration, how does it help them? I have been showed how to do it, but I don't understand it fully. My daughter as you have read it sensitive to clothes, socks, shoes, noises, very good sniffer, taste in some ways, but most of all touch. I know that the brushing technique can work but how does it help them with there sensitvities?

:picture: :nonono: :reading:

Thank you!
Jessica

SRL

Sensory strategies are designed to provide stimulation that kids need but don't get in a typical environment or at a particular time. The idea behind a sensory diet is to provide a balanced supply of sensory stimuli that is helpful to them.

Brushing doesn't help every child, for some it makes it worse. You should only do brushing if you have been trained by a certified Occupational Therapist (OT) and then only in the context of a sensory diet, checking in often with the Occupational Therapist (OT) until you've established the right diet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not sure I can explain it very well. Sorry. I never quite got how it works either. Something to do with de-sensitizing the nerves I think.

However, I CAN say that it DOES work. I've seen it several times. Made an enormouse difference in my friend's son.

My kids were too old by the time I got an Occupational Therapist (OT) in the picture, so they really weren't up to cooperating, nor had the patiience to keep it up. Nichole did for a while. Did see improvement in the clothing dept, though not huge as she just didn't want to do it.

Hopefully someone else can explain how it works. You can ask the Occupational Therapist (OT) too on the "how" part.

Hugs

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
SRL

There's a diet??? Is that new? I don't recall a diet with my friend's son, nor was one mentioned with my kids.

But I do recall the Occupational Therapist (OT) saying that it can make some kids worse.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
The deep pressure technique helps kids understands where their bodies are in relation to space... for example: K has a hard time knowing how hard she is grabbing something, squezzing something. She has a need to touch a lot and hug and grab etc. No idea of her bounderies as far as where her body ends and the rest begins...

This is the proprioception of the joints... when you do the compression you are helping trigger them so they become aware of pressure, touch, space etc. That is why it is important to know YOUR child... this techniques can cause a child to be sick. While K needs deep pressure, N can barely stand it...

Any good Occupational Therapist (OT) will observe and help you learn where your child needs it, arms, legs etc. And to what degree.

The brushing technique is for desensitizing the nerves to stimulation... for the most part, or to help stimulate the nerves on the surface level.

For example: a lot of kids can not handle a quick change from shorts all summer to long pants. You would use the brushing technique to adjust the sensitivity level of the child... kind of preparing them for the pants... After awhile of brushing their legs you would put long pants on, brush before each time and pretty soon you would in theory not have to brush at all... Until the next issue came up!!!

They do all kinjds of things like this with smells, textures sounds etc... it is a desensitizing technique to help their bodies learn to adjust to the shock that they are experiencing, they learn to recognize it and in essance expect it. Kind of be prepared if you will, they may not ever love the sensations but it teaches them how to deal with them!!! How to use their tools....

Just some ideas hope it helped.

Good link to the "Sensory Diet" We love the "blanket burrito" we also use pillows.
http://www.sensorysmarts.com/diet.html

susiestar

Roll With It
Jess,

The Sensory Diet is not a food diet. It is a regimen of input into your senses. Some people need different things, different sensations. Just like some people do well with fish oil and seafood and it is toxic to others.

Totoro gave a description but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not try it until a professional has shown you how to do it properly for your child.

It also does more than desensitizing skin. It truly helps reprogram the brain to handle ALL kinds of stimulation. I have read the reasons why, as far as we know, but that part didn't stick in my head.

It is not actually a deep pressure sensation. Deep pressure is usually (to my knowledge) given in other forms, like the blanket burrito. Brushing is firm, so that it does not tickle, but it is not hard. It can be done over or under clothes. My little guy would strip anywhere and everywhere for a brushing. Tried to strip for brushing in the Occupational Therapist (OT)'s office, had us both laughing.

Some parts of the body should NOT NOT NOT be brushed. The stomach/abdomen is one. It can cause harm to brush there.

The joint compressions need professional training also, otherwise you could damage joints.

Ok. I just read that you have been shown how to do this. Did they give you the brush? Our Occupational Therapist (OT), knowing that we can't get to her for regular therapy - over an hour and just TOOOOO much for my guy to handle on the drive-gave me the name of the place they buy their sensory brushes. And boy, the first one we bought at a specialty place like a drugstore for Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT was $7. I got 6 of htem for about $11 at this website the Occupational Therapist (OT) gave me. BIG help.

It does help my older two. They enjoy hte sensation and I notice more confidence, more being at ease with themselves when I brush them regularly. And they are more willing to try new foods - a big WOW for us.

Good luck,

Susie

ps. If you want the website for the Occupational Therapist (OT) stuff, PM me. I will say that some of the things in hte Party stores, like the different balls, and the itty bitty clothespins are much cheaper than the same from any therapy supply place.