Dehumidifier help

F

flutterbee

I think I need to run a dehumidifier in my house. It's built on a slab and has a cold air return in the front room of the house. The house is almost 1600 square feet.

I've noticed condensation over my bathroom window a couple of times with a lot of rain. However, this week we had the 4-6 inches of snow on the ground melt, then it rained for 24 straight hours and now we are in the middle of a snow storm.

On Wednesday, the day after the 24 straight hours of rain I walked into the house after getting back from the grocery and it felt humid in here. It felt like walking into the bathroom after someone had taken a shower and didn't use the exhaust fan. I changed into my flannel jammies and they felt damp - not wet, damp - just a damp feeling. I also noticed more condensation over the bathroom window, plus over the two windows in my bedroom.

Now, there is condensation on all of the windows. That has happened all winter with cold weather, but it was just along the bottom. Now with this snow storm, it's going all the way to the top. (It's been much colder than this so I don't think it's the temp causing it exclusively.) I can't really see out of my windows because of the condensation. This is now all the windows in the house.

I think it's probably from all the precipitation we've had, the fact that the house was built on a slab, the fact that the house was built in 1964 and the fact that these windows probably aren't the best.

So, do you think a dehumidifier is what I need? If so, what size? They're not too cheap and I've been having to fork out money lately like I have it to throw around. I did find one at Circuit City for $63.00 that was a 30 pint dehumidifier, but that's Greek to me. Do you think that would be enough? Too much?

I can use any help in this area I can get. Thanks in advance, all!

ctmom05

A dehumidifier sounds like it would be a good thing for you to have.

We have a similar problem at our house and it does not get better by itself. Extra condensation can even cause additional damage, like mold.

Take the time to wipe off the condensation wherever you see it, even if you put in the dehumidifier.

It is also helpful to understand what humidity is, where it comes from, what it can do, etc,

You may want to talk to somebody at the appliance store, Heather.

I get some condensation on my windows during the winter, but if I don't run a humidifier ALL winter long, we get shocked, our skin gets dry, and we get bloody noses. The air is SO dry around here in the wintertime.

It may be very different by you, but you're not that far from me.

F

flutterbee

BBK - It's like that here, too. Normally. Usually I can't touch anything without getting zapped in the winter. But, I haven't been zapped a single time in this house. Not that I want to be. But, until you mentioned it I hadn't thought about it.

I wonder if first I should purchase an inexpensive thingy to measure the level of humidity in the house.