Delightful Mother's Day with difficult child

trinityroyal

Well, colour me shocked!

I completely forgot yesterday that it was Mother's Day. Despite all the discussions on the Board, various "Happy Mother's Day" posts on facebook, commercials for flowers on television, etc., somehow it completely managed to slip my mind.

And then, a phone call from difficult child. Asking if he could come over for a visit because he had a Mother's Day surprise for me.

It sure WAS a Mother's Day surprise:
1) He was polite
2) He was respectful on the phone
3) He was On. His. medications! (This is HUGE with him, especially lately)
4) He remembered -- and arranged to get a card and a gift, no less -- without any help or prompting from anyone

So he came over. He brought me the world's silliest stress-ball to add to my collection of desk toys (pride of place, next to the Mr. Spock Potato Head), and a set of garden lights that I can use to decorate the tree he planted for me a few years ago. Very sweet, thoughtful and personal.

The best Mother's Day present ever? My difficult child planning and organizing, regulating his behaviour, and holding it together all day. I didn't have to nag, pester or bug him about his behaviour. He entertained the small monsters for an hour so I could finish the last part of the thriller novel I've been reading.

The best Mother's Day present ever? Hope. That one day, my little hellion, troubled child extraordinaire, WILL grow up to be the Fine Young Man (tm) that's always been hiding there under the surface.

That is fantastic! I am so happy for you and for your difficult child as well - such a huge step in the right direction!

And, yes, I agree..... HOPE is a wonderful gift.

:smile: