Depression During Pregnancy Linked to Kids' Behavior Problems

R

runawaybunny

Depression During Pregnancy Linked to Kids' Behavior Problems - medication Page Today
Children born to mothers who were depressed during pregnancy were more than twice as likely to display antisocial behavior by age 16 as children whose mothers had not been depressed, researchers found.

Of 120 mothers from South London who were followed from pregnancy through their children's teen years, 31% had depression during pregnancy, according to Dale Hay, PhD, of Cardiff University in Wales, and colleagues.

Children born to these women were significantly more likely to display antisocial behavior (OR 2.46, 95% CI 1.10 to 5.48) and commit violent acts (OR 4.36, 95% CI 1.54 to 12.41) before age 16, the researchers reported in the January/February issue of Child Development.

flutterby

Fly away!
I hate the idea of more blame for mom's as much as anyone here, but I was depressed during my pregnancy with difficult child and I often wonder if that has anything to do with her issues. With easy child, I felt absolutely wonderful during my pregnancy and I couldn't have placed an order for a better baby - and kid. He has the teenage stuff that makes you want to knock the snot out of him, but he'll grow out of it. Hopefully. ;)

So, yeah, I've often felt like there is a correlation.

3boyzmom

I too was depressed and very sick during the pregnancy of my challenge. I have always wondered if that is what affected him. But I blame the depression on my ex, the father, so is it really my fault?

InsaneCdn

The study doesn't sound robust. For example, if the mother was depressed during the pregnancy, how long did the depression last after birth? Could that not be a significant factor? I could write a whole list of questions that haven't been asked on this study.

BusynMember

The study doesn't sound robust. For example, if the mother was depressed during the pregnancy, how long did the depression last after birth? Could that not be a significant factor? I could write a whole list of questions that haven't been asked on this study.
I was in a psychiatric hospital for ten weeks during my pregnancy. I believe my state of mind could have affected my son. However, heredity is a big part too and the poor kid seemed to get everything I had...only worse. Still, I don't know if this is blame as much as statistical fact...(sigh).