Depression & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazymama30

I have a friend with a 7th grader who carries these diagnosis's. The school is trying to deny an IEP. He does not have a lot of academic issues, but has major behavior issues. He is on probation, has assaulted his mom, and was hospitalized for about a month within the last year.

He is on probation for sexual harrassment which occured at school.

I have always dealt with very different diagnosis's with difficult child, but I am going to the IEP with her next week. I think he needs psychoeducational testing and an fba. Does anyone know of any good links regarding the above diagnosis's?

Also complicating factors is the fact he may not cooperate with the evaluators. Mom is going to start him going to weekly therapy, and I am not sure what is going with their psychiatrist, It almost sounds like he fired them, the difficult child has been really out of control, told psychiatrist to f off and slammed doors, psychiatrist said they are not compatible but said he would manage his medications???

I just want some good resources, this kiddo is a major handful and mom is not aware of all the sped laws, I am not an expert but do know some.

Thanks

dadside

I think you have two things to cover. First, your friend (with your help) has to show that her son has one of the listed categories of disability, and that seems pretty easy. The trick here I think will be to show (or at least convince the committee) that because of the disability he needs special education - with or without "related services". Generally if there is not a significant shortfall of performance - learning - vs. "potential" (IQ in simplest term?), there is no call for special education. I'd expect the school to have some ability testing results in its files from years past. If his ability scores have been relatively steady over time, and his grades are relatively consistent with the scores, you have a problem proving need.

A related point: My understanding of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and of depression does not suggest either of those "disorders" would lead to the behavior issues you noted. I'd suggest to your friend that she pursue further evaluation by a different mental health professional.

crazymama30

I agree with your saying she needs another evaluation, but she is completely against it. She worships the ground psychiatrist walks on.

The boy is failing all his classes, has tons of missing assignments, does not meet state benchmarks, has a history of uncooperative behavior.

He has never had any testing, would not cooperate with it. His mom is going to tell him it is a condition of his probabation, as so far he has been compliant with that.

I think he needs psychoeducational testing to look for processing issues and such, and he needs an FBA.

I am wondering about what types of interventions would be good for this kiddo? I was thinking sometime near the end of the day he needs to meet with sped teacher to go over what homework he has and to work on organizing his binder. I know that much more than this will be needed.

pepperidge

You may want to check out Oregon Parent INformation andREsource Network--they provide advocates for IEP meetings and can give advice. ORPTI.org. I have heard good things about them.

Does the school have the capability to do a decent evaluation?

dadside

Your first post said "He does not have a lot of academic issues". That he "is failing all his classes, has tons of missing assignments, does not meet state benchmarks" is different, but at least covers the academic side. Still, I don't see a connection between the behavior and academic problems and the diagnosis. Your friend may "worship the ground psychiatrist walks on", but I still think more is needed. You would be doing a favor to make that point clear to her. For the specifics of helping him, I think you are on the right track, though it may well prove more than just the school can do.

crazymama30

Pepper, I really don't know if the school can do a good evaluation, but it may be the best shot. I will check the website.

Dadside--I was let to believe that he did not have academic issues, but then on further questioning got different answers. Please remember that this is not my child therefore I do not know a lot of details and I do not have the choice to determine where he goes for treatment. when the boy was hospitalized with different doctors in a different town he came out with the same diagnosis. He was hospitalized for over a month. He is also a cutter. I did question mom on many things, and igured about a bunch.

Here is how I believe the diagnosis's tie into his academic performance---the depression causes him to give up before he has given his work his best, to believe that there is no point to trying so why care? He needs help with organziational skills, again maybe due to a defeatest attitude. I am not clear on his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) sx's as it is an abnormal type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

THanks for the inpute

Status
Not open for further replies.